HOWTO: Install Windows 7 on a CF-18 mk1

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by rcx, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerovision

Aerovision Newbie

Reputations:
    Update: CF-18K Hotkey Plus XP drivers don't load for 2nd unknown device. There are no "Vista Upgrade" drivers for Hotkey Plus! HotKey Plus Vista drivers for CF-19K load OK, but don't work.

I then tried the Wacon Pen Tablet 508-2a (with Tablet Button Manager / Driver back and Hotkey Plus removed), so exactly as post no.1, minus Bluetooth driver. It worked straight away and now front buttons all working fine!

So, I have a touchscreen machine (CF-18K) with the Panasonic digitizer drivers and the Wacon driver, which now seems fully working on Win 7 Professional, with all updates installed.

Next to see if Memory Map will install on it and talk to a Bluetooth "keyring" GPS.

Thanks again for this really useful forum!

Aerovision
    London, UK

2. jon.g1

jon.g1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi There, it's my first post on here. I stumbled across the forum whilst searching for info on my CF-18 mk5 CF-18NHHZXBM a bargain purchase on eBay last year for just under £300 with only 2200 hrs on the clock in a as new condition. since i've had it i've fitted a emissive Rubber keyboard, and tried to fit a WWAN pcmcia card.... but it wasnt untill a while after i noticed the touchscreen had stopped working (was when i first started playing with WWAN). after a bit of playing with drivers i decided on a re-install, it was as this point i discovered this thread and i must say it is a pretty amazing guide.

i just felt i should add my experiences on a mk5:

Sound card, failed to install the driver, so i used the vista driver from the panasonic site (for a cf-19 i think) this worked fine :)

Wireless switch utility failed to install (for factory WWAN??)

Lan Driver i left alone as win 7 had found a driver and updated once win update running

WiFi i used the intel Pro Driver for vista from intel's site

Bluetooth skipped as not fitted

PC info viewer installed but with and error, on running error window pops up "c:\....\setdiag.exe the application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect....."

dmi view installed and working

video driver, tried 945 driver without luck. then tried the intel 915 from there site which stated incorrect version of windows, then used the link to driver on HP's site earlier in this thread but ran as admin in xp compatibility mode as in thread (poss this would have worked for prev driver) this worked fine have functioning driver :)

as of yet no luck with the touchscreen though, the cf-19 driver wont install, tried updating the mouse driver with one from Fujitsu site but lost touchpad. tried the Wacon Pen Tablet 508-2a driver, this enabled all the tablet features of win 7 (including the tablet buttons all six now work, orig only brightness and lock worked)

does anyone have any other ideas or drivers i could try? i know that many will say the touchscreen has failed but i can't understand why, it was working under xp whilst the cf18 was on my desk, then last week (hasn't moved from my desk) is wasn't although i hadn't tried it since playing with sierra wireless drivers.

is there anyway to run diagnostics on the touch screen? may help to mention that touching the screen anywhere or running a piece of card under the edge has absolutely zero effect on the cursor position.

apart from that i have a fully functioning mk5 running windows 7 :)

3. onirakkiss

onirakkiss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    what do u find in the device manager under input devices? there should be a HID-device and a USB input device or similar. One for ur touchpad an one for ur touchscreen. if not, reinstall the wrong driver.

4. jon.g1

jon.g1 Newbie

Reputations:
    there is a hid device but is from the wacom driver i installed (for digitizer not touchscreen) and the panasonic touchpad/touchscreen driver. although with just the later i have no working touchscreen. ideally i need a way of monitoring the port on which the touchscreen connects to too see if it's trying to communicate, does anyone have details of what model, type of connection the mk5 touchscreen is?

Many Thanks, Jon

5. onirakkiss

onirakkiss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    so don't install the wacom driver, if u don't have a digitizer ;)

6. jon.g1

jon.g1 Newbie

Reputations:
    i just tried it as a long shot, touchscreen didn't work before or after... i am wondering about just re-placing the touch panel with and after market one, as they can be had for a fraction of the cost of a new one

7. harveya

harveya Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well just managed to do this on my Mk2. Much respect to rcx for the write up, how you managed to work through finding that procedure is quite amazing. Everything worked in the end although it took 4 goes of the process from start to finsih before I got it all working.

However, Automatic rotation was working and now it isn't, I think the sensor is FUBAR. Anyone know how to fix it. It doesn't respond to the magnet tric although the screen off on the left side of the pad works fine. If it's difficult then I'll probably leave it as is. Is the sensor on the MOBO or is it mounted to the case - I haven't had one of these machines fully apart.

Anyway thanks to rcx for that, was thinking of sticking with XP even after the drop dead date but Windows 7 is so much more tablet friendly.

Have also got my CF-51 Mk3 working with Windows 8 which is great and much faster than XP. Now to get Vista or Windows 7 working on my Itronix Duo Touch.

Cheers
    Andy

8. mklym

mklym Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just finished Win7 Ult install on my new CF-18 Mk1. Took a few runs getting the video driver to take, but it's all good now. Thanks to rcx for the write up and all those that contributed.

9. KLonsdale

KLonsdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With the demise of Windows XP I loaded Windows 7 onto my CF-18mk2 and followed the instructions, the only gotcha was the video driver, took me two tries to get it right, I now have everything working as it was under XP with a factory restore disk. The first thing I did was image my drive.

10. moiloon

moiloon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    could anyone advise me how to get the dam video driver to install on my cf-18F digitizer, I followed instructions to letter in 1st post, everything working as it should all buttons ie fn+front panel buttons, only thing im stuck with is the dam video driver,, and obviously the rotation wont work till I solve video driver
    after following instructions all goes well till the end process of driver, in device manager it just keeps refreshing (blinking,as if trying to install driver over and over)
    also in device manager ive got 2 exclamation marks for video controller and video controller (vga compatible) but no display adapter section in device manager
    someone please help me to resolve this issue, pulling my hair out (well whats left of it)

thanks in advance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.