How will Ampere scale on laptops?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Kunal Shrivastava, Sep 6, 2020.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    crysis...hmm...if it was cpu bottlenecked then why is everyone getting higher framerates with lower settings..msfs 2020 on the other hand is harshly bottlenecked

ok i'll put is this way when you have a cpu bottleneck and increase settings framerate stays the same. because the cpu is taxed...but having a cpu utilization of 25 percent does not equate to a bottle neck...i'm starting to think most people don't even know what a bottleneck is they seem to think its when framerates are low and cpu isn't being used fully.

and tbh there is always a cpu bottleneck present in almost every game according to you guys and your standards...like if you ran just cause 2 at 1080p all low and got 300fps and then lowered the resolution to 800x600 and still got 300fps then your cpu bottlenecked......get my drift

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  2. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If the game isn't able to fully utilize a modern CPU due to how the engine is architected I would think that is also a CPU bottleneck, but one that's the fault of the engine relying on pure brute force frequency, not the fault of the CPU being inadequate. It's probably going to be a while though before a lot of the engines are able to saturate 16 threads.

Biker Gremling and JRE84 like this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's going to be a while for a number of reasons, one of them being games are usually designed with consoles in mind, and PC ports result in pure GPU load (larger textures, better shaders etc). Also, the computations involved are often done more efficiently on the GPU anyway. The point stands: rarely will modern/cutting edge games be truly bottlenecked on a reasonable CPU, even at 1080p. It's predominantly a GPU game (!).

JRE84 likes this.
  4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    FS2020, Crysis Remastered, and FC5 aren't particularly well threaded, but the other games, and the aforementioned Battlefield V, scale really well on 6+ cores.

5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Good thing the upcoming consoles are 8C/16T AMD cores. :) Even the XBox One and PS4 were 8C/8T (2 x 4 core )

It looks like FS2020 they are going to patch within the next 12 months. Supposedly DX11 is gimping them due to limited threading capability. In fact I think they are doing some form of optimization for that in the next patch.

6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The upcoming consoles are merely catching up to last year's mobile CPUs. PS4 CPU is clocked at a laughable 1.6GHz. Although I do take the point that the multicore CPU architecture forces a muliththreaded engine design, the overall console system performance is necessarily well below enthusiast PC levels, even at launch, so most game developers will be targeting the latest console specs. The main added value of playing such titles on the PC is in being able to crank up the image quality thanks to a more powerful GPU.

Sure, PC-exclusive simulators etc are an obvious exception.

hfm likes this.
  7. Kunal Shrivastava

Kunal Shrivastava Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Aren't dx12/vulkan API supposed to directly address 6+ cores & low ghz Cpus?

seanwee and hfm like this.
  8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's all that we need, engines and rendering APIs giving us the scenario of taking advantage of more cores and threads. The consoles having 8C/16T is just going to be nothing but a good thing for the PC community where that is common at the enthusiast desktop level.

The PC ports are just going to expose more graphical options and ability to turn things up or down manually instead of locked settings for a 100% known platform capability. I'm still gaming just fine on a 4C/8T 15W CPU.. most things are still GPU bound (at my 1600P res...) I was just running RDR2 benchmarks just to check out the new performance monitor in GFE.. GPU was 99% utilized quite a few times..

seanwee likes this.
  9. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a personal opinion about the CPU multi-thread use in video games. CPU and GPU have incredible different tasks in video games, while for a GPU is pretty natural to multi task the rendering of frames, CPU has a much more sequential way of thinking, more like the human thinking. We definitely need another way of computing programming to change that. When you see consoles and PC going on more cores per CPU that helps only because the platform can run more tasks on the background: broadcasting, online trophies, multiplayer communication, etc. But the more cores doesn't help much more to increase fps. Until the computer programming keeps working the way it works video games will keep using 2/3 cores max and will get more benefit on higher CPU frequencies and CPU cycles efficiency.

10. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And all of these games are poorly optimised on the cpu front. We need more games using lower level apis like R6 Siege and Doom that are pretty much futureproof and will scale really well with more powerful cpus and gpus.

etern4l likes this.