How will Ampere scale on laptops?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Kunal Shrivastava, Sep 6, 2020.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This has always been the case when mining cryptocurrencies. That's why miners underclock and undervolt their GPUs. But hash rate is not indicative of gaming performance.

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I would rather say 210W. 1.1% less performance vs. 7% higher power consumption with 225W.
    What you expect the gaming performance will drop going from 320W down to 210W ?

etern4l likes this.
  3. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I find those results very interesting. If we can get about 98% of the performance of the card at only 65% of the rated maximum power draw, this means laptops won't be screwed for performance. Of course this is mining and not gaming performance, but I'd expect results to be about the same. For gaming, you can normally get 70% of the performance at half the rated maximum power draw.

If we extrapolate the results from the crypto mining chart Papusan provided to gaming performance, it seems pretty logical to me that we could get 98% of the performance of a 3080 at 65% of the power draw. This is because the vast majority of games rely exclusively on rasterization performance from the graphics cores. 210 watts is probably enough to run all 8704 cores at almost full throttle and supply minimal power to the raytracing and tensor cores for idling.

In raytraced games, the perfomance deficit over the desktop cards will probably be significant since you won't be able to fully load all the hardware (graphics cores, raytracing cores, and tensor cores) all at the same time with a 210 watt power budget, but performance in games without raytracing should be about the same.

seanwee and JRE84 like this.
  4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And that NBR is what we need more of, unbelievable. You sir made my day when you used the scientific method to come up with a conclusion as well as advanced deductive reasoning. We need more can do's vs can nots

Clamibot likes this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Odd. The source article lacks details. They set the power limit, so what? Would the mining algo be capable of causing this particular graphics card to draw more than in this case 225W of power?

JRE84 likes this.
  6. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Compute loads like mining don’t cause the card the draw that much power because much of the graphics hardware lies dormant. The majority of die space is still dedicated to graphics, not compute, as these are gaming cards after all.

hfm, etern4l and JRE84 like this.
  7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I was about to say this and happened upon your post finally. :)

etern4l likes this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmm, I thought the majority of die space is taken by the SMs, which are used by both compute and graphics tasks.

Anyway, the crypto thing is just one weak data point. A lot could have gone wrong:
    1) PBUAK during testing
    2) Driver issues
    3) Crypto software issues
    Etc. Not sure how reliable the source is either.

JRE84 likes this.
  9. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was under the impression that the CUDA cores could be used for either graphics or compute workloads.

10. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I find pretty interesting that power consumption and performance don't scale 1:1.

[​IMG]

The RTX 2080 Max-Q TDP has a 40% of the TDP of a full desktop RTX 2080 but in performance the Max-Q has between 67% to 97% of the performance of the desktop version depending on the test. 80% of the performance in average.

That makes me think that a 210W 3080 for laptops could achieve over 90% of the performance of the 320W desktop version