How will Ampere scale on laptops?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Kunal Shrivastava, Sep 6, 2020.

1. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nvidia support? Maybe
    Intel support? Fat chance

2. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think Intel already announced support for both 10th and 11th gen cpus.

This feature can give gamers an extra boost in gameplay FPS on Intel’s new 11th generation H/S and select 10th generation systems when paired with supported graphics cards, including NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs."

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/

However it's unlikely laptop manufacturers would release the vbios update and bios updates needed for it i guess.

JRE84 likes this.
  3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    if you shug off the speculation..people that are under nda and have the mobile 3080 in their possesion are claiming 40 percent upgrade over 2080 and thats about as big of a jump as we have ever seen...

I think it's decided im upgrading to the 3080 max p no point in the 3060 or 3070. looking forwards to 120 plus fps in olderish titles as I have about 300 AAA games in my backlog...time to get back into gaming for more than a hour a week

4. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I meant bring support to their older generation of cpus.

Of course they will be supporting it in products they are planning to sell.

5. Kunal Shrivastava

Kunal Shrivastava Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think we'll have to rely on dsanke/prema BIOS for that, main question is physical compatibility of the 3080 mxm boards with older form factors.

6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    mxm good hope???????????????????????
    as for the actual performance do you guys agree we will see a 40 percent bump or was that guy talking best case?

7. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Linus from Linus Tech Tips mentioned January 26th as the day the embargo lifts.

It's pretty much guaranteed. Clevo released a marketing video previewing the X170KM-G, which is the 11th Gen Core and RTX 3000 refresh of the X170SM-G.

https://www.clevo.com.tw/ces_2021/X170KM-G.html

The same chassis is used.

Kunal Shrivastava likes this.
  8. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was talking about Dynamic Boost 2.0

"With our new laptops we’re introducing Dynamic Boost 2.0, which uses AI to balance power between the CPU, GPU and GPU memory. The AI networks in Dynamic Boost 2.0 manage power on a per-frame basis, so your laptop is constantly determining where power is needed the most and optimizing for maximum performance."

Maybe best case scenario, with RT enabled and DLSS so the RTX 3080 max-p takes advange of the 2nd gen of RTX cores and the new 3rd gen of tensor cores that should do an extra boost in favor of the RTX 3000

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    NVIDIA Announces GeForce RTX 30 Series for Laptops: Mobile Ampere Available Jan. 26th tomshardware.com

As I have said from the beginning. Back to old days with castrated mobile cards
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...scale-on-laptops.834039/page-21#post-11064334

For their latest generation, while not being explicitly noted by NVIDIA, it looks like a change in nomenclature is at hand. In the past couple of generations the company has simply referred to their mobile parts with the same name as their desktop parts – e.g. GeForce RTX 2080. However for the RTX 30 series, we’re seeing parts listed as “laptop GPU”, e.g. “GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU”. It’s a small change, but an important one: as we look at the specifications, it’s clear that NVIDIA isn’t always using the same GPU in a mobile part as they have its desktop counterpart, so any kind of true equivalency between laptop and desktop has gone out the window.
    "Laptop graphics adapters have always been their own product family, and now by returning to having distinct naming and specifications for their laptop adapters, NVIDIA has gone back to more clearly defining this structure"
    upload_2021-1-14_1-15-47.png

Yeah, Nvidia got it as they wanted. Implemented double up with crippled M branded cards. Some of us saw this coming when they added in the Max-Q lineup. And here we sit in 2021 with only Max-Qrippled in all shape and forms (different SKU's with different TGP and vRam depending how crippled you want it).

How many will be screwed with cards maxed out with the lowest possible TGP? Brand it Laptop GPU is a new way to try lure people into a disaster purchase. Nice!

NVIDIA’s Dynamic Boost is designed to take advantage of the fact that in many laptop designs, the GPU and the CPU share a common thermal budget, typically because they are both cooled via the same set of heatpipes. In practice, this is usually done in order to allow OEMs to build relatively thin and light systems, where the cooling capacity of the system is more than the TDP either of the CPU or GPU alone, but less than the total TDP of those two processors together. This allows OEMs to design around different average, peak, and sustained workloads, offering plenty of headroom for peak performance while sacrificing some sustained performance in the name of lighter laptops.

"It’s also worth noting that even with the Max-Q designation, it’s likely that some of the new functionality available here will also show up in non Max-Q laptops"

Edit.
    See also my post here... http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...m-owners-lounge.831618/page-374#post-11070420

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 7:41 PM
    seanwee likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Finally... an admission of guilt for selling compromised garbage that is poorly designed and [mal]functions 'as intended' is status quo for an industry run by dishonest losers. All this nonsense is bestowed on us under the auspices of offering really cute trash that is easy for wimps to pack around like a glorified smartphone. Keep the money flowing and they'll continue to produce that broken trash in equal measure, at a price that is as high as the market of silly people will allow them to.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 11:22 PM
    JRE84, seanwee and Papusan like this.