How will Ampere scale on laptops?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Kunal Shrivastava, Sep 6, 2020.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All i want is a MAX-P that works with a modded BIOS in my P775DM3-G.

Screw MAX-Q

3. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm hopeful they'll perform similarly. Despite the reduced TDP, the extra cores should make up the difference. I don't think the increased VRAM on the desktop variant will really do anything since the 3060 is not a card aimed at 4K. I was expecting the RTX 3060 to only come in a 6 GB variant, both for laptops and desktops.

4. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    It's not the first time Nvidia has given more CUDA cores to the mobile GPU compared to the desktop ones. Off the top of my head, the mobile GTX 1070 and GTX 1650 have more CUDA cores than their desktop counterparts, but they run at lower core speeds.

5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Also the mobile GTX 1060 3GB.

6. Kunal Shrivastava

Kunal Shrivastava Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How likely do you think this is? If they push an update for Clevo x170sm-g then the card is going to be on the same form factor as the 20 super and compatible with p775 with a heatsink change.

joluke likes this.
  7. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    lol, the Nvidia presentation was hilarious... that video of a guy plugin in 3 screen to his laptop and playing FS2020 at like 140 fps, oh Nvidia you always bring joy to my heart. So leaked specs were 100% accurate nothing new today, probably the new and most interesting part was that video of a board where the CPU and GPU and VRAM are like communicating to be more efficient, but that should be available for BGA models only? I'm not sure.

Performance wise, I'm still expecting the 3080 max-p to perform in games similar to a desktop 3060 Ti and the 3080 max-q to perform similar to a potato.

seanwee likes this.
  8. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hopefully I'll be able to purchase one off Ebay. We'll see. But I believe it's a worthy upgrade from a GTX 1080 (the MAX-P)

9. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can't find any reviews with real world numbers despite youtubers having these in hand so I'm assuming we're under embargo; anyone confirm, deny, know when it lifts?

etern4l likes this.
  10. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Resizable bar? Nah that's just part of the PCI spec. Be interesting to see if that comes to turing though since it technically supports it.

seanwee likes this.