How will Ampere scale on laptops?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Kunal Shrivastava, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Kunal Shrivastava

Kunal Shrivastava Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This.

Pascal did well on mobile because they perfected their shader cores over multiple generations. With fancy Tensor and RT cores taking upwards of 50% die space it's no wonder TDP went up again with Turing.

Case in point- Laptop GTX1660ti and RTX2060, not even talking max-q here. 1660ti is very close to desktop, 2060 lags by quite a bit. Look at how close the rasterized performance is between both these cards on laptops :

It all comes down to the exotic 1st,2nd gen hardware these cards are packing.

Prototime likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    3080 come with GDDR6X (19 Gbps) while 3070 have GDDR6 running14 Gbps
    Why? With 3070 as top dog graphics for notebooks we would still pay same high prices but for lower specs. You want to pay same for less?:D

Aroc, jclausius and etern4l like this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yep, laptops are more expensive. It's the price of portability.
    Best max performance - > desktop
    Best performance / price - > desktop
    Portability - > laptop

Aroc and Papusan like this.
  4. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't know man, maybe I was lucky with the silicon of both my 1080s. I did run 3Dmark for several minutes in a bucle and got this temps and power drawing:

[​IMG]

Nothing special on both GPU, thermal grizzly and generic thermal pads.

Papusan, DreDre and Kunal Shrivastava like this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't know if I would call it exotic anymore. All the consoles and current generation GPU are going to include RT hardware. It's the new normal.

Aroc and etern4l like this.
  6. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If they do make Max P models with 200W then those will surely have the near or same performance as desktop. But we know nvidia likes their 150w, 115w and lower targets for laptops. Not to mention every manufacturer was too busy making ever thinner and lower wattage devices, they are fully unprepared for new high watt devices in both CPUs and GPUs.

Heh, we will even have a bit of issues with nvme, as it becomes ever more performant requiring better cooling, and those drives will simply not work with the current laptop market haha.

Could big, strong and bulky laptops make a return? It would be cool if they stepped away from soldered on CPUs/GPUs haha, full return to actual portable full performance PCs.

I got carried away. They will make a full 3090 GPU core capped at 80w, call it the best ever, running at 500mhz and watch it be perform like a 2070 on laptops.

Prototime and Papusan like this.
  7. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Obviously not we will just have thermally throttled cpus/gpus and ssds in devices but they will have lots of lights on them so it's fine.

DreDre likes this.
  8. Kunal Shrivastava

Kunal Shrivastava Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lol.
    Next gen consoles will outdo most 3k laptops, what a shame..

etern4l likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Looks like 200W is the middle way for Performance vs crippled power limits for 3080 Max-P. The 3080 Max-Q variants will be heavily crippled. Alienware started last year with Max-P@150W for thin. I expect more ODM/OEMs follow the same paths.
    upload_2020-9-15_17-13-43.png
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 cryptocurrency performance videocardz.de
    MSI think so. I wonder how hard the ssd throttling will be if you max out the PCIe 4.0 SSDs

MSI Prestige and Summit laptops add 11th-gen Tiger Lake, PCIe 4.0 SSDs and more pcworld.com

MSI's new Summit laptops aim at business, while the Prestige gets colorful. And yes, it's an Oprah "You get PCIe 4.0 SSD too" moment.

Like MSI’s Stealth 15M, the company will take advantage of the faster PCIe 4.0 in the 11th-gen Tiger Lake by including x4 PCIe 4.0 SSDs in the Summit E15, E14, and B14. In the Summit B15, MSI pairs a PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD with a PCIe 4.0 SSD.
    The thin and slimy direction can't or won't be changed. All they will do is cap the TGP. Design will always come before functionality.

See my older post... http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/nvidia-thread.806608/page-248#post-11045765
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    DreDre and etern4l like this.
  10. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    225W looks like a sweet spot there for a laptop's GPU. The performance drop is pretty small but the power consumption is a lot less