How will Ampere scale on laptops?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Kunal Shrivastava, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah I think that the vapor chamber makes the trick, the cooling system on the GPU is pretty good in my laptop. It's a sad thing that in the current gen (PS4/XBOX ONE gen) almost any game supports SLI so it is like having your second engine always shut down on a ship. The other sad thing is that there is no easy way to increase the power limit (and hence be able to push the overclock) which is a shame because the cooling system can take more power (heat to dissipate)

2. Kunal Shrivastava

Kunal Shrivastava Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You mean this?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/mobile-pascal-tdp-tweaker-update-and-feedback-thread.806161/

3. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    lol yeah, but there is no way I'm going to do that... back in the day was pretty simple with NVflash

4. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Unless there is a major breakthrough in cooling for laptops, ampere is going to be lackluster for mobile. It has hefty power requirements, and it will be largely turing that will continue to feature due to lower TDP.

The RTX 2080 200w for laptop should still be among the more powerful variations available. Even if they did shrink the 3070 and cap its TDP, it will be cut down enough to be barely "better" than the 2080. Perhaps the new mobile GPUs will have the same raster performance but just improved RTX.

I think I am officially done with laptops for high end gaming. I will only focus on laptops for work and "mild" gaming at best.

5. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's exactly how I feel now too. If the mobile/desktop GPU performance gap had continued to shrink like it did with Pascal, or if competition in the mobile space had started to bring down prices, I might want to stick with a laptop for gaming. Neither has happened, and especially now with Ampere being so power hungry, I have little reason to buy a new gaming laptop instead of building a cheaper, more-powerful desktop. Besides, for portability purposes, even Pascal notebooks will still have a fair amount of life left in them for lighter gaming sessions.

ryzeki and DreDre like this.
  6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't know I went for Pascal's 1060 and egpu for future power...losing 30 percent on a 4080 won't be all that bad and cheaper in the long run as gaming is moving towards 8k in the next decade and I'm more than happy with 1080p....but if this trend continues I'm also officially done with gaming laptops

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Maybe expect 3070 desktop/2080 Ti performance (3080 Max-P will probaly beat 3070 due the faster vRam).
    upload_2020-9-8_0-59-19.png
    [​IMG]

Mobile graphics as Max-P is in short pushed back to low powered M branding with less performance vs desktop cards (my 980 N have higher TGP than nvidia 980 Desktop card and perform better with stock speed). Nvidia started screw up their whole Mobile graphics cards lineup when they pushed out Max-Q. We have now two low powered M cards. One more crippled than the other. Almost equal TGP for Mobile Max-P and desktop cards in same lineup is now thrown into oblivion and will most likely never come back. Thanks Nvida, you tried but failed.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    seanwee and ryzeki like this.
  8. DreDre

DreDre Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In my P870tmg and P870dm3 in both I have GTX 1080s in SLI. The Only way I was able to tame temperatures in both of them was to use liquid metal. Both of them have the vapor chamber cooling but without liquid metal temperatures stayed in the 90s while gaming. I'm confident I am pulling the same wattage you are but I can't check myself at this point without a wattage meter.

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Double the dies is much easier to cool than single graphics card running +300W. Nvidia increased the cooling capacity for Ampere desktop cards vs last gen. And notebooks being slimmer and thinner so don't expect miracle cooling in next years gamingbooks (Not so easily put in a bigger truck cooling into an small Mini Cooper):D

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    jclausius likes this.
  10. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Since the 3070 has a TGP of 220 watts, wouldn't we get near desktop level performance with this card in laptops? I'm assuming the card would be limited to 200 watts in its Max-P variant. That makes the most sense to me.

The 3080 doesn't even seem worth releasing on laptops since performance would be crippled immensely vs the 3070 or lower. The 3070 and any card below it should be capable of desktop level performance in their respective Max-P variants.

The 3070 should be the top dog for laptops this generation. Keep performance within 5% of desktop levels with the 3050, 3060, and 3070, and we'll have some wicked awesome laptops. The 3080 should be relegated to desktops only.