How will Ampere scale on laptops?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Kunal Shrivastava, Sep 6, 2020.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    we should create a thread for 4000series ampere is a lemon..

and i kinda agree if you have a 1080/that being an exception no need to upgrade

2. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well it's scaled worse than previously in the context of mobile to desktop performance deficit of course. The biggest thing is that the 3050 low end series can now do raytracing and dlss, who knows if that's usefult though. From mobile card to card it's not really scaled much different than the turings and I'd expect over the life of ampere we'd get the same hairsplitting from ngreedia i.e. super, ti etc At the high end, 2k/4k, it's a good improvement but nothing out of the ordinary over generations. And the entertainment value of rich dudes who flaunt their wealth in such bad taste and their other nonsense, but we expect that from their tasteless kind.

KING19, Kunal Shrivastava and JRE84 like this.
  3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i don't get people buying a new laptop everytime a new card comes out I just dont get it, what game needs this and why

4. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Value is relative to wealth. On the Corvette forum people who buy Camaro's cant afford a Corvette but anyone that buys a Porsche is flaunting their wealth and the value isn't there. On the Porsche forums people who buy Corvettes do so because they can't afford a Porsche but Ferrari's are for posers and the value isn't there. Don't know what happens on the Ferrari forums... All value judgements are made from a perspective of relative wealth. If you have a lot of cash a laptop isn't particularly expensive and doesn't even have to pass a value judgement; some people have that kind of money. Then you have the enthusiast, they live and breath (X) and will always have the best they can afford. You do of course have the posers and those who are not posing but rather flaunting. Those are some reasons. :)

5. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have schizoeffective disorder, yeah yeah madness is close to genius.....but I don't have the money and if I did I'd give it away. I believe we all have mental switches, NBR has yet to trigger mine which leads me to think....all I can prove is my rose! it has intelligence beyond the petals
    I have a high IQ that I can prove, I have a type of schizoprenia I can prove that, and I can prove I'm poor....

edit most lay persons think money is an indicator of intelligence...look at chris langan his iq is 210-190 and he would essentially make anyone look dumb and yet he's average financially

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    KING19 and Kunal Shrivastava like this.
  6. Kunal Shrivastava

Kunal Shrivastava Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Agreed,
    Ampere (and even Navi) was basically DOA on laptops after they revealed their die sizes on GA102/4.
    The issue is not with the IPC but with the node. Both AMD and Nvidia have matured enough at this point that their respective architectures are pretty solid.
    We can expect a similar level of scaling upto 5nm finFET GPUs- Lovelace/Hopper will feature obscene die sizes to accommodate the tensor hardware and claimed ~66tflops on AD102.
    Summary: the desktop and laptop delta is set to remain the same or even widen with the next generation, unless nvidia goes with a chiplet array in their next design but even then I have my doubts.
    Think back to Maxwell vs. Pascal and we saw the substantial, and predictably linear gains mostly due to the jump from 28nm planar FET to 16nm, which was already pushing it with Planar CMOS design. The jump to 14 & eventually 12nm(Turing) was never going to be huge because adding 'fins' to a MoSFET substrate was simply a workaround to have a higher current density on the transistor package.
    To actually have meaningful gains the last few nodes beyond 5nm will need to completely rework transistor design (finFET is not possible beyond 5), barring the insane cost of whatever they need beyond EUV to accomplish that.
    Moore's law should approach EOL by the end of this decade, hence the push towards alternate math: Tensor matrix multiplication, concurrent compute etc.
    We should expect quite a radical change in computing over the next 2-3 decades.
    Either that or go into cryosleep until humanity eventually achieves Kardashev type-III status and then we can see meaningful gains in the GPU sector.

KING19 likes this.
  7. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well and to beat a dead horse, the naming issue(admittedly separate) points to deception pure and simple, which for a publicly owned corp points to a strategy of greed/fraud. Sneaking in a phrase like "laptop gpu" etc is not enough because we see the sales pages don't use that terminology consistently and most wouldn't catch that little technicality and what it means: they know this. None of us would be fooled of course.

Off topic IQ is just a metric relating to some artificial context, it's one indicator of expected intellectual performance. Look at boxing champs they're tops in a specific context but that doesn't mean they can beat everyone out there in all situations, my 2cents anyways don't sweat it.

8. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1. I think it's a bit more complicated than that. If I'd sell my p775tm with gtx1080 (still under warranty) now, I would get a better price for it than within 6 months, let alone 1 year.

2. Although the current mobile gpu generation is gimped DLSS could give me the edge needed to switch to 2K gaming or full RTX, which is impossible with my current setup.

So there's some system in the upgrading madness.

KING19 likes this.
  9. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm still considering the Tong unit Eluktronics is pushing, the one with the 5800 and 3080. Still no reviews on it I can scrounge up.

BrightSmith likes this.
  10. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes I'm tempted even by the 3070 + Intel, which should be close enough to the amd + 3800 for gaming AND would leave me with some money that can be saved for a new DTR in the future.