How will Ampere scale on laptops?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Kunal Shrivastava, Sep 6, 2020.

1. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    Keep in mind the gddr6x will also be undervolted in the mobile versions as well as other efficiency improvements.

2. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Need to add in this:D
    [​IMG]

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 3070 and 3060 Mobile to be paired with Intel 10th Gen Core CPUs? videocardz.com

3080 Max-Q = 3070 on GA104 / Desktop 3080 on GA102 (A neat disgusting change from Pascal and Turing).

Yeah, Nvidia enjoy screw the notebook customers. Why change the mobile surname when M was good enough? Max-Q as I have said the whole time was a awful idea by Nvidia.

@Meaker@Sager you said Max-Q due the same silicon (specifications) vs desktop cards hence Nvidia could charge damn high price for Max-Q although it have crippled performance. Will we now get cheaper priced Max-Q Jokebooks due the innferior silicon and lower performance vs. same destop cards from same so called top tier cards? Or is Nvidia back to their disgusting practice? Yeah, I know this is rumors, but still.... @Mr. Fox

1080 Max-Q = 1080 on GP104
    2080 Max-Q = 2080 on TU104
    3080 Max-Q = 3070 on GA104 / Desktop 3080 on GA102

And there's also a big possibility that NVIDIA utilizes slower GDDR6 dies rather than GDDR6X to power the RTX 3080 Max-Q graphics card. Damn nice!

The GA102 GPU is not expected to come to mobile form factor, although NVIDIA has made a commitment to offer desktop and mobile SKUs with similar specifications. In reality, though, those SKUs are never the same, spec and performance-wise since they have different TGP targets.

With this move, Nvidia can come up later with a Super refresh with the GA102 silicon. And change to GDDR6X 10GB vRam (but slower speed vs. the desktop ram) as for todays desktop cards while Nvidia already prepare for more and faster vRam for the desktop refresh. Yeah, Nvidia continue treats notebooks like unwanted stepchildren! On top behave as liars (NVIDIA has made a commitment to offer desktop and mobile SKUs with similar/same specifications). What a letdown/and what a betrayal if this is correct.

Yeah, I expect my predictions on this Mess will come true, LOOL
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  3. seanwee

Reputations:
    Yeah i do think it's very possible that GA102 will stay a desktop only chip. As much as I'd like to see the biggest die come to laptops.

Question is, how will nvidia nerf the 3070 mobile now that it shares the same GA104 die as the 3080 Max-q? Maybe GDDR6X GA104 for the 3080 Max-q and Gddr6 GA104 for the 3070 mobile.

The simplest thing to do would be to completely boycott the 3080 if that comes to fruition. And for that we need the help of reviewers if possible.

Papusan likes this.
  4. Papusan

Reputations:
    You mean they can charge an arm and a leg more if they will use GDDR6X for 3080 Max-Q ? Could be. But I think Nvidia will rather use those vRam dies as a nice way to lure people into the Refresh:) Or maybe swap to GA102 for the refresh is enough?:rolleyes:

Though, they have SK Hynix's GDDR6 memory rated at 1.2V with speeds of 12 Gbps up their sleeve. Aka lower powered/slower dies than the desktop variant.

I can't see a low powered GA104 with lower clocks than 3070 desktop cards is a proper upgrade over 2080 Mobile if this will be the 3080 Max-Q Sku.

5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm not sure it really matters, as long as it's some iterative improvement over the 20x0 series notebook silicon people will buy it. I mean there really won't be a choice for people buying a NEW notebook, it'll all just be whatever TDP they can fit from the 30x0 parts that are avaialble. If you're looking to upgrade from your current Pascal or Turing notebook, I guess it would be is the improvement across the board (CPU, features, panel, and GPU, SSD) as a entire package, worth it.

Papusan likes this.
  6. seanwee

Reputations:
    Well nvidia is rumoured to switch back to tsmc 7nm for their super refresh so it'll be interesting to see what they actually do.

The super refresh is a brilliant idea to sell more cards later in the life cycle by holding back the performance of the launch cards and I hate how brilliant it is.

That said, I'll be watching from the sidelines this gen, its going to be bumpy ride.

Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Criminals have been known to be some of the smartest and most creative people alive. They simply abuse their God-given abilities by using them for nefarious endeavors. Technology leaders and decision-makers seem to possess some of best examples of truly brilliant criminal minds. Their actions suggest that they believe most consumers are stupid, and the actions of most consumers suggest they are correct in their belief.

8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Maybe we will see second round crippled 3080 (Max-Q) as the refresh:D What is better than throw out a cut down GA102 as the top tier when Nvidia find the right time to help the notebook manufacturers with boosting sales next time? Several ways to screw the notebook users. They will buy whatever they being offered as long it perform slightly better than it's predecessor.

The sku branded Max-Q was a huge Scam! And the sad part.... Some still don't see it. Nvidia just can't differentiate Max-Q and Max-P silicon. Both crippled vs. desktop cards. The only difference will be higher TGP and slightly higher clocks for the Max-P variant. See... Back to old days but now with two Mobile cards instead for 1 and with minor differences.

I wonder why so many people out there still don't feel or can see that they become scammed by greed:confused:

9. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
  10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Max-P versions (3070/3080) will probably be only in the big three (Area-51m R3, Clevo X170SM-G, MSI GT76)

I could see 3070 Max-P in thinner 17" models too. Depends how good they can bin them.