How well does the 7700HQ undervolt?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Ickarius, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Blatcher2

Blatcher2 Newbie

Reputations:
    I would step a bit for 24/7 undervolt if just 5mv more crashes your system. What program are you testing with because that V-core and those temps are very low.

2. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's a really nice undervolt if it works for you, but you have to be a bit careful: as far as I can tell, there is no reliable way to determine that an undervolt is stable except for simply using the laptop. My XPS 15 is currently at -100mV CPU and -75mV iGPU. I used it at -110mV for some time and while this is rock solid in benchmarks and doesn't cause any problems when coming back from sleep, it turns out to very rarely cause crashes in games (about 1 crash every 5 hours vs. 0 crashes in 30+ hours at -100mV).

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you undervolt enough to avoid TDP limit errors in Prime95, showing up in Throttlestop (=45W), then small FFT test will work in prime95 to test the undervolt. But even with a small undervolt, you will exceed TDP....

4. Sebixy

Sebixy Newbie

Reputations:
    I used TS and started the long test a few times in immediate succession to test temperatures and did some 4k gaming to test stability. I also undervolted gpu 100mV probably that helps with temperatures too. Since I don't use my pc to the ful potential often I think stability will be ok in case I experience crashes I will reduce undervolt. I also noticed that the clock dosen't goes above 3400GH even if it is set to 3800, probably that helps with stability and temps.

5. Emanuell Hitardo

Emanuell Hitardo Newbie

Reputations:
    My Asus GL502VMK (K for Kaby-Lake), with an Intel i7-7700HQ, undervolts -110mV.
    The core voltage - which is the main focus - is around 1V, staying between 0.942V and 1.043V.

This laptop suffers from Power throttling, which basically is the CPU demanding more power than it is defined as the limit power (in Watts). So, the CPU will throttle to 0.8GHz, raising slowing to the normal frequency by steps: 0.8; 1.2; 1.8; 2.7; 3.8GHz.
    The undervolt solution solve this issue.

I tested using Intel XTU (Extreme Tuning Utility) and maintained that Voltage with Throttle Stop running at Windows logon.

Despite all my efforts, I noticed I am not able to reach the full 3,80GHz, staying shy of 3,73GHz.
    This is due to reference clock not staying at 100%, being lowered to ~99,7%.
    I am not sure what is causing this, but I will keep digging...

I also undervolted my GPU, using MSI Afterburner.
    For more details, check the ROG forum here.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Sebixy

Sebixy Newbie

Reputations:
    While I didn't have the power trottling issues my i7 7700hq does not reach ful clock either. I get aproximatly 3.6 ghz single core and exactly 3.4 ghz whith all cores. Its wery annoing because temps are never realy hight so I would like some more performance. Does sombody knows a fix to this? I alredy tried with trottlestop but klock speed is apparently locked. I have a dell xps15 9960

7. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Probably tasks in the background who load more than one core. Disable unnecessary processes - software and test again. Use Autoruns.Exe

8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The fix is to buy an unlocked processor. Locked processors are bad. There were a few locked processors which allowed you to increase the turbo bins a few steps, like x3 higher, after a few tweaks (e.g. 4700HQ), but there's no fix for any newer processors. The only processors worth buying are the HK processors, or desktop processors (in barebone laptops). It's also very difficult or impossible to force only one thread usage because windows will still use other threads by itself. See if your Bios allows you to disable 3 cores or if there is an unlocked Bios available to let you set the # of active cores (don't be surprised on HQ processors if the most you can do is disable hyperthreading on an unlocked Bios).

There may be INI tweaks you can do to windows to only force it to run with 1 core or 2 cores. There were for windows XP. No idea if there are any for windows 10 or 7.

9. 94sportsedan

94sportsedan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    On my AW 15 R3 I undervolt my 7700HQ to -140mv and stable for gaming.

hmscott likes this.