HOW TO: Windows Installation Thread (includes SATA III, SSD Upgrade, RAID0 Discussion)

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 6, 2011.

1. hypersonic

hypersonic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did not install any driver.
    Just enabled RAID mode in bios, press ctrl+i to create a raid volume, then installed windows on that. It works without any extra driver installed, so why bother?
    And I set the stripe size to 64k, thought it's a good balance between normal operation and large file transfer.

The number he posted looks fine to me. Getting close to 500 MB/s seq read and write doesn't seem to have anything wrong. We don't know how much stuff is on that SSD while it's being benched

Seraiel likes this.
  2. sagarbhathwar

sagarbhathwar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When I try reinstalling Windows 10 on my AW 17 R3, using Dell USB, it doesn't provide an option of clean install and if I chose recovery option, the OS gets installed on HDD(alongside SSD windows 10 installation, getting dual boot). How to configure settings so that I can reinstall windows 10 on SSD itself and not touch the HDD

Thanks
    Sagar

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Remove the HDD, install/recover Windows to SSD, then put the HDD back, copy any files somewhere else that you don't want to lose, then run diskpart clean, diskpart convert mbr (or gpt instead of mbr if that tickles your fancy) commands on the HDD.

It's not a bad idea to always remove drives you are not installing Windows to in order to force Windows Setup to put everything required to operate the system on one drive. When you have multiple drives, Windows setup sometimes does stupid stuff like making a different drive the active boot drive. With only one drive present, it cannot screw that up.

4. Swick1981

Swick1981 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey All,
    I do not know if this is the correct place for me to post, but...
    I was able to upgrade the BIOS to allow Intel RST OpRom v11.2, 11.6, and 12.9.0 (And others) for our m18xR1. I also was able to updat the microcode for the 2960QM - last microcode update was from 2011 in the dell a05 BIOS. I updated it with the latest 2014 microcode! I've also included an Intel Management Engine upgrade from our version 7.0... to 7.1.8 and it does actually add a bit more support! If you'd like me to update the microcode for your system and specific PC, please let me know the CPU you are using and I'd be happy to do so. Also, the NEW OpRom's that I've added to the bios DO SUPPORT TRIM in RAID0. It's been tested and works. If you're interested, please take a look at:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...me-upgrade-7-1-80.787339/page-2#post-10190690
    Enjoy!!!

deadsmiley and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations: