HOW TO: Windows Installation Thread (includes SATA III, SSD Upgrade, RAID0 Discussion)

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 6, 2011.

1. hypersonic

hypersonic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Update:
    Really WTF:eek:
    Today I performed a fresh installation of Windows by deleting and recreating the RAID volume. This time, I loaded the F6 RST driver before Windows installs.
    This is the result:
    [​IMG]

Why is it happening on me:(
    I notice that with the RST driver, 4k QD32 read is much better than without one, but with the price of halving the sequential read is simply not acceptable. Sequential read and write are more relevant to my usage anyway.
    I am done with that stupid driver. Looks like another reinstall for me here...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I have never seen what you are experiencing. I am almost wondering if it is unique to Sandisk Extreme SSD in RAID0. It could be something with the Alienware 14 RAID controller. It's very puzzling.

hypersonic likes this.
  3. hypersonic

hypersonic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Phew...
    Finally finished resuming everything without bothering with that driver
    Here's the number I got at last
    [​IMG]

YAY:rolleyes:
    Proper number enthusiast's class products should have
    Thank you Fox bro for the advices anyway;)

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Bumping for new members of our community.

5. Seraiel

Seraiel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the same problems with Intel RST and my Samsung 840 Pro! I didn't know, what caused them, only that Windows 10 needed 5s to boot without drivers and now it's over 15s.

Here is a screenshot from a benchmark using Intel 13.6 RST:

[​IMG]

In some Microsoft thread I saw a benchmark with the same software and also an 840 Pro, and his values were much better. Any ideas what I could do?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  6. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    Trying to install the OS to the mSATA SSD with RAID set in the BIOS, but Windows install cant' detect the SSD. I also can't access the RAID BIOS (via ctrl-i) - that option never shows up.

Am I missing something?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Have a read on post #1 if you haven't already done so. Do you have the Intel RST F6 drivers? You need to install them during Windows setup. If you previously had or have UEFI without Legacy Option ROM, be sure that Secure Boot is disabled, press Shift+F10 to open a command prompt, run diskpart clean and diskpart convert mbr (or gpt if you prefer that) on the drives before installing the F6 drivers. UEFI and Secure Boot reduce your flexibility and cause problems like this.

8. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    Got it sorted out, thanks.

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    What version of RST did you end up using to get the numbers corrected? Maybe that is something @Seraiel could try. Did you manually set the stripe size to 64K or 128K (the default 16K sucks for sequential writes).

Seraiel likes this.
  10. Seraiel

Seraiel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I read a few more pages in this thread. Found one post, where Samsung said, that between 500 and 550 for sequential read and writes were maximum. I got those values almost exactly, so I'm guessing, that my SSD is in perfect state, and that the higher numbers of some in this thread, or also of the MS-technician I mentioned, must come from something different, like i. e. Rapid-Mode, 2 SSD's in RAID or similar.

Just for information btw: These are the values I reach with the SSD using the Intel 13.1.0.1058 RST driver and Windows 7. The Intel-version mentioned was a recommendation from someone that deeply digged into the topic and also tested a lot, and he wrote, that the 13.1.0.1058 is the fastest in allmost all cases (he was very specific, he wrote like "for this and that RAID-ROM, take this RST version, and he explained the difference between RST, RSTe and Intel Matrix Storage all in detail. When looking closely though, 13.1.0.1058 was advised for most common scenarios, like system not being from stone-age and system not being a 5k $ system from last week ;) ) .

[​IMG]

Mr. Fox likes this.