1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

HOW TO: Windows Installation: Questions, Troubleshooting Thread (includes SATA III, SSD Upgrade, RAID0 Discussion)

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Voondiaz

Voondiaz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    oh.. i did use ATA too.. but still it did not load it still stops at the screen where it wrote "InitDisk" below for quite some time. i do not need to extract the .zip files right?

2. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, once you have created a bootable CD, extract the contents of the .zip to a location of your choice. This should then give you a .iso file which you need to "burn" to the bootable CD you have created using the burning software on your system.

Once the bootable .iso CD has been created, you can flash the firmware by doing what you have done before....setting Sata Mode to ATA in bios and selecting to boot from the optical drive.

Simply burning the unextracted .zip folder to the bootable CD won't work as the firmare flashing file is the .iso file...you need to burn the .iso image file (and not the .zip folder) to disc.

3. Voondiaz

Reputations:
    this is what i have on my screen even after i set it to IDE and cd/dvd priority boot..

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I hope this would give u a clearer view of my situation. >.<

Edit: it keeps on freezing at that screen and i don't know what else to do.. ive tried RAID, ACHI and ATA.. All of the boot mode that ive chosen still fails to update the firmware..

4. steviejones133

Reputations:
    I cant say I can see that screen shot as its too small.....it doesnt look like any screen you should be seeing though as per Crucials instructions I linked to earlier.

Are you using a completely blank cd-r? - how did you burn the .iso to disk? (did you just drag it onto the disk or did you actually "burn" it to disk using the burning software?

5. Voondiaz

Reputations:
    Oh no. Im using a DVD+RW disk and i actually burn it to disk using the burning software.. but it keeps on coming out the same black screen that i showed above.. im using v0009 and i still cant update until now.. whats the issue here actually? :/

Here is a clearer picture of it.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/821/img0123nw.jpg/

6. shawnwalters

shawnwalters Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Make sure you are burning as an image. Insert blank cd - ignore all popups from windows. Then go to extracted file, right click the file and choose burn image.

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Overclocked | Overvolted Moderator

Reputations:
    The above is the correct process. If you are already burning an image from the ISO rather than writing the ISO as a file to disc, try using a CD-R or DVD-R (not RW) as there are often issues using rewritable optical discs as bootable media. (A rewritable CD/DVD/BD also cannot be used for disc imaging.)

Thanks for jumping in Shawn. I appreciate it. I am going to have limited access to the forum for a period of time, but I will check this thread again in 24 to 48 hours.

8. steviejones133

Reputations:
    As the others have said, use a completely blank cd-r and not a rewriteable. unzip the folder and extract the .iso image to a location of your choice and then burn the iso image to disk using your burning software....that should work.

9. MrValle

MrValle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all,

So i have this M18x that i bought an intel 520 ssd 120gb drive for. And i get about 500mb/s on read speed but only 150/170mb/s on write speed. It should be around 500mb/s on write also.

I have intel ssd toolbox and have ran the auto optimize on it but its a no go.

Any ideas folks?

10. namaiki

namaiki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    That write number sounds about right for incompressible data. Which SSD benchmark program did you test with?