How to Use SetPLL to overclock your R2 over 166

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by DavyGT, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavyGT

DavyGT Overclocker

Reputations:
    DISCLAIMER: I accept no responsibility for your actions based on this guide. What you do is from your own free will, this mod is not forced upon you.

What is this?
    This is a requested guide for further overclocking an R2 beyond 166mhz.

Who can do this?
    Anybody with an R2 that is already stable at 166mhz with Throttlestop. i3/i5/i7 166 welcome. No pinmod needed.

What can I expect to get beyond 166mhz?
    The current highest overclock is csufy's i7 at 182mhz. Most 166 R2s can clock between 166 and 180. Your Mileage May Vary. It may seem small but it could be the difference between losing to SB and tying to SB for an i7.

Is there a noticable effect on the battery?
    Not that I know of since voltage is not changed.

Do I need a notebook cooler(s) with this?
    No.

How to do this:

1. Download and extract the SetPLL archive. Note the destination folder.

[​IMG]

2. SetPLL is a command line application so you must open command prompt before starting it. Just type cmd into Windows search and press enter.
    [​IMG]

3. Remember the SetPLL directory which you have noted? In my case, it is C:\setplldv2. Use the command, “cd” and the directory to navigate to it. So in my case, the code is “cd C:\setpllv2d”.
    [​IMG]

4. Now, type in “setpll m11xr2” to query the available clockspeeds.
    [​IMG]

5. Select a clockspeed and enter the command “setpll m11xr2 xxx” where “xxx” is the clockspeed.
    [​IMG]

6. Test for stability with IntelBurnTest or your favourite stability tester.

7. Now, to automate the overclock we need to make a shortcut to setpll, right click the shortcut and enter properties. There, inside the Target textbox, you need to enter “m11xr2 xxx” where xxx is the clockspeed.
    [​IMG]

8. Place the shortcut into the startup folder. You're done now.
    [​IMG]

Cool story bro, but I want more powerrr.
    You can:
    Modify the RAM SPD and overclock further
    Do a voltmod and overclock further
    Wait for an R3 and buy it. See how much extra performance it has first.
    Buy an alternative powerful ultraportable with a full voltage CPU and overclock it (Sony SA/SB, Acer 3820TG)

Credit to AnonyMouse for creating SetPLL, moral hazard for maintaining it and nando4 for supporting it.

2. DavyGT

DavyGT Overclocker

Reputations:
    Some last tweaks:

Intel GMA BCLK trick
    Try this guys. Go to Intel graphics properties, enter Power settings and select maximum battery life. Since graphics is onchip, it could add some vcore to the CPU when graphics is lower powered.
    [​IMG]

I think my RAM is unstable, how can I test this?
    Use Prime95 and select the SmallFFT torture test. That test does not stress the RAM, meaning it should be stable for longer.

It is the RAM. What can I do?
    Buy another kit and hope to get lucky.
    Do a RAM SPD mod.

Stable List
    1. DavyGT - i5 - 178 - SPD modded

3. i has m11x

i has m11x Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice guide. I'll have to try this when I have time.

4. pspknightx

pspknightx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How to make the overclock 166mhz stable eh?

Mine even 160mhz will randomly hang or blue screen of death already :(
    Last time tried 166mhz and can only stay for half hour then blue screen..

5. DavyGT

DavyGT Overclocker

Reputations:
    Thanks.

Try running one stick of RAM to see if RAM is limiting your overclock. Swap the stick and try again to see if it's more stable.

6. Phantom3D

Phantom3D Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very nice DavyGT. +1
    I have similar problems with random lockups and bluescreen if I go over 150mhz. I will try what you said, and replace with the original Dell ram. Do you Know if Corsair Value ram is generally bad? Any specific ram type you recommend?

7. DavyGT

DavyGT Overclocker

Reputations:
    Thanks.
    Did you notice a change in stability when you changed the RAM?
    RAM is pretty much luck of the draw as different modules from the same range will all overclock differently.
    Drawing from my own experience, from 3 sets of Dell Samsung RAM, they all overclocked from 1035-1070mhz which shows they are all overclocking differently, even from the same kit- one of my current Samsung sticks can't handle any more then 178 (1068mhz) stable while the other stick can go to 183 (1098mhz) regardless of timings. I guess Dell Samsung RAM can hit over 1000mhz is all I can say from my small sample of 3. Do you have a kit of Hynix by any chance?

8. Phantom3D

Phantom3D Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just tried with my original dell ram, Nanya sais the sticker on those (2x1gb). Did not notice any difference, bluescreen at 160mhz startup. Tried with one aswell. Same ar with my Corsair Value. Could be all the ram that is "bad", but I doubt it is the ram now. What do you say? Worth spending 130$ on a HyperX ram kit (4gb).. Money out the window if the ram is not the issue..

9. DavyGT

DavyGT Overclocker

Reputations:
    Before buying more memory, try doing an SPD mod. You'll need a 32bit OS (XP, Vista, 7) and an old trial of Thaiphoon Burner. By doing the SPD mod, the timings are forced to run higher and slower, meaning it could stabilize 160. The timings are normally run at CL6 meaning it is very fast. By changing it to CL7 or 8, RAM clocking can be improved. Some sticks just won't overclock regardless of timings though.

10. M11Ash

M11Ash Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    After changing the timings on 32bit os, can we then change back to 64bit with said timings in tact?
    or can we run the thaiphoon burner in a 32bit VM on our 64bit win7?

Also do you have knowledge of how to pinmod the i5/i7 chips Dave? Thanks mate :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.