1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

How to use blue symbols on HP laptop keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Jude16, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jude16

Jude16 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!

I just got a new HP laptop and do not know how to access the special characters available on the keyboard: ie/ the pounds sign, the cent sign, etc. Some keys even have two characters on them.

I've tried FN + numlock, but that just activates the number pad.

Of course the online user manual is useless :mad: !

I've tried all combinations of ALT, SHFT, etc. but have yet to access the symbols on those keys. I know that I can use ALT and a 3 or 4 digit number for those special characters, but as they're right on my keyboard, I might as well make use of them.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks! :eek:

2. powerpack

powerpack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Other than the "number lock" I don't think you can lock the other blue characters you just press the function key and what ever blue character when you want to at the same time. Now if you use a certain symbol a lot I think you can map a shortcut using keys.

3. Jude16

Jude16 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks very much for your reply.

I have tried using the function key in correspondence with the" blue character" keys but unfortunately that doesn't work either. I'll keep trying to find an answer, maybe even contact HP if I get really desperate :p but if all else fails, I'll go the shortcut route.

Thanks again!

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mime with Tourette's

Reputations:
    I may be missing your question here, but AFAIK caps lock and num lk are the only "locking" keyboard settings.

To access the "#", or any other character above the normal key character, use the shift key. to access any of the characters that have an outline or box around them, use the fn key.

On the typical HP notebook, the blue keys are QuickPlay keys.

5. Jude16

Jude16 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply. The buttons I'm referring to are not the quickplay keys and neither is it pressing shift and then whatever is above the 4 or 5 ( to get $ or % for example).

On my keyboard, below the F buttons (F1...) some of the keys have blue symbols on them. For example, the key with 4 and $ (after you press shift +4) also has a blue "cent" sign (¢) on it -- other buttons have other symbols. I have tried to use the Fn key in conjunction with them but they do not work.

It's not a huge deal as I know how to use alt codes to get the same affect, but it's a bit irksome having these right on the keyboard and not knowing how to use them. It would certainly help if HP would include some decent documentation or online help....

Thanks!

6. MGS2392

MGS2392 NAND Cat!

Reputations:
    That's how you use them...

Hold fn and then press that button.

7. powerpack

powerpack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    After clicking in the document so it is active. That should work.

8. Jude16

Jude16 Newbie

Reputations:
    I guess maybe I have a problem then because that does not work for me.
    Thanks for your replies, I will contact HP and see what's up.

9. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What HP notebook is this? If you have any of the recent models make sure you have installed the Quicklaunch buttons software/driver and set to load at startup since it is required for some of the special Fn keys to work.

10. Jude16

Jude16 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a very recent model, I just bought it about a week ago.

I did not know about installing the Quicklaunch buttons software/driver -- that may be my problem. Thank you very much, I will give this a go!
    :)