How to use all your VPC-Z's S-Buttons for your purposes

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by pyr0, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mzatanoskas

mzatanoskas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Off topic but what would be really awesome (for me!) would be able to map those buttons to directly boot different OSs on your hdd. A bit like how the assist and web buttons (on my SB) boot recovery or the web only os...

I don't have the first clue how to even begin to do that though!

2. Crotia

Crotia Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

I was wondering what happens when I overwrite my original VAIOCare.exe, how will the file execute normally when I want to open it?

Also, my ASSIST button doesn't seem to open the VAIOCare.exe, when I put the custom launcher in, it still opens regularly.

Is there a way to remap the WEB button as well?

EDIT: This does work.
    Also, my VAIO button isn't assigned to anything right now - Can I set it to open an application with Launcher in it and get that to control media?

Thanks

3. octanion

octanion Newbie

Reputations:
    Did you manage to solve this issue? I have am in the exact same position as you are (or were). Launching an application works, but the multimedia functions do not (with WMP).

Still, mad props to pyr0 for making this awesome tool!

4. fray_bentos

fray_bentos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ASSIGN ASSIST BUTTON TO SMART NETWORK APPLICATION (TO ALLOW QUICK TOGGLING OF BLUETOOTH, WIFI)

I found that to make the Smart Network application window appear a switch flag "/Shortcut" is required; simply running the VSNClient.exe is not enough. Unfortunately, I could not find a way for the steps mentioned above to launch:
    i. an .exe with a switch command.
    ii. .vbs files
    iii. links to .exe containing switches

Thus I used the following work-around:

1. copy "ASSIST_Button" file and "CustomLauncher.exe" to C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\VAIO Recovery
    2. Rename "CustomLauncher.exe" to VAIORecv.exe
    3. Create a text file in this folder containing the following text:
    @echo off
    SET PATH=C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Smart Network\
    "%PATH%\VSNClient.exe" /Shortcut
    4. Rename the text file to "run.bat"
    5. Run LauncherControl.exe and set the ASSIST button to any random .exe file, and click save to create registry entries.
    6. Run regedit and browse to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sony Corporation\Shared Info\UXInfo"
    7. Change the Assistbutton registry string (which should show the random .exe that you just selected) to C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\VAIO Recovery\run.bat
    8. Pressing the ASSIST button will now open the Vaio Smart Network allowing WiFi and Bluetooth toggling.

PS/ I created a .vbs file to prevent the black command box from momentarily popping up (using text below), but I couldn't get the .vbs file to be launched even when the registry string pointed to the .vbs file.
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WshShell.Run chr(34) & "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\VAIO Recovery\run.bat" & Chr(34), 0
    Set WshShell = Nothing

5. 18000rpm

18000rpm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How do I get this to work with my Z3? The S-buttons are ASSIST, WEB, VAIO (only VAIO is customizable).

I don't see a vaiorecv.exe and VRLP.exe doesn't seem to be correct either since my S-buttons don't run Media Gallery.

6. Erdem86

Erdem86 Newbie

Reputations:
  7. pokiworms

pokiworms Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This can work with all Sony laptops with the 3 buttons?

8. sonus

sonus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for this awesome tool! I loved it when I had my Vaio Z, and love using it on my Vaio Duo.

To all those using Windows 8, and MS security, I could not save my settings after running launcher control. Even running Launcher Control under Admin mode, still didn't give me the necessary permissions for the app to write to the registry. Finally, I right clicked launcher control, and used Windows Troubleshoot Compatibility to elevate the admin access, and that worked!

FYI for Vaio Duo 11 users:

The install.bat won't work as our ASSIST button points to another location.
    To install the tool:
    1. Copy CustomLauncher.exe and ASSIST_Button to the folder: C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Care
    2. Rename the orginal VaioCare.exe file to VaioCare.old.exe or whatever you wish
    3. rename CustomLauncher.exe to VAIOCare.exe
    4. Right click LauncherControl.exe and click Troubleshoot Compatibility, then click Troubleshoot program.
    5. Check "This program requires additional permisions" and click Next, then click Test the Program.
    6. Allow Launcher Control to run, and set the path for the Assist Button, then click Save and Close.
    7. Everything should work now.

9. AJolly

AJolly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone been able to use the buttons to turn off/turn on the Wifi? :)

10. atx

atx Newbie

Reputations:

Hey, I also tried this on my VAIO Duo 11 but it won't work. The selected program is started when i manually double-click my modified "VAIOCare.exe", but pressing the Assist Button doesn't trigger anything. It seems like the button just doesnt point at any program or path. After unpacking my Duo, I wiped the SSD and did a clean install of Win8 Pro. I reinstalled the core Sony-Vaio software after that (Update, Care, Event). Everything does work, except of the assist button. Surprisingly, the button works when the device is turned off (it starts in assist-boot menu then (BIOS etc)). But if I press the button when my vaio is running, nothing happens.
    Anybody here knows a solution? Thanks!

PS Is it possible to activate the backlit keyboard all the time? At the moment the activation depends on the brightness (only works in the dark))

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.