How to Unlock the Core 2 Extreme Multiplier in Windows

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    The multiplier unlock feature is working great. If you don't have an Extreme CPU then you won't be able to try this new feature because an adjustable multiplier is only supported on Extreme CPUs.

I've heard that many Acer laptops do not have great bios support for Intel's Extreme CPUs with their adjustable multipliers. I decided to post this here first so I can get some feedback.

somebody over on TechPowerUp provided me with some information how to go about doing this while you are in Windows. Adjusting the multiplier higher on an Extreme CPU is possible even if the motherboard bios you are using does not support this feature.

This feature has been added to ThrottleStop 2.51 so let me know if it works for you. Right click on ThrottleStop to bring up a couple of new menu options. Not only can the FID (multiplier) be adjusted as high as you like, you can also adjust the VID higher. Hopefully this is going to open up a few doors for users with Extreme CPUs. Post some screen shots including CPU-Z, so I can see how this is working on Acer laptops and remember to include your Acer model number.

Once you adjust the FID or VID higher than the default setting, this setting will remain in the CPU until you reboot whether ThrottleStop is running or not. To reset both of these settings, there is a right mouse menu option in ThrottleStop called Reset CPU FID/VID which will take your CPU back to its default settings.

If you have an Extreme CPU but it is not being correctly recognized as an Extreme CPU (no new right mouse menu options), post a screen shot of CPU-Z so I can have a look. Some ES processors don't have the correct information written into them but I have a work around ready to handle this.

Happy testing.

Edit: A couple of minor updates for version 2.52 and 2.53.

If you have an Extreme CPU like an ES that is not properly recognized as an Extreme CPU by ThrottleStop (ie. no new right menu options to unlock your CPU), you can try adding Extreme=1 to the ThrottleStop.ini configuration file. This trick will do absolutely nothing and might cause problems if you do not have an Extreme CPU.

A Core 2 Extreme CPU should have these two new options available.

[​IMG]

Newer versions of ThrottleStop should have an UNLK (unlock) button and a Reset button on the main screen.

[​IMG]

Did you like this Post? Did you learn something from it? Then vote for it in the NBR Amazing Content Contest

2. unclewebb

Reputations:
    The first test is in on the Lenovo forum so I thought I'd share.

I think he's happy. Now that Core 2 Extreme CPUs can be fully utilized, you better head to Ebay before they are all gone. :D

[​IMG]

3. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Just have to say, you're doing a lot of good and interesting things with ThrottleStop +rep again.

4. InfectedSonic

InfectedSonic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    thank you very much it seems to be working for me although i would still like to have it done through bios but this will have to do till then if ever :D
    [​IMG]

EDIT: I dunno if this is a bug but i was messing with the multipliers and once i click a 14x multi i instantly bsod.
    What i found a little troublesome was that it saved this setting and i was experiencing an endless loop of bsod once the os tried to load.
    long story short i was only able to fix the problem by booting from last good configuration in the f8 menu of windows right before boot. I though that this program didnt save the settings on reboot?

other then that fantastic program :D

5. Dead2th3world

Dead2th3world Pure Hatred

Reputations:
    Removing the battery and powercord would have suffice.

Anyway , Here's mine (MSI machine)
    [​IMG]

+Rep Webb ;)

6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    ryokowashu: When you unlock the CPU multiplier using this method, it is temporary and when you reboot, the higher multiplier value is lost. When playing with these settings, don't click on the Save button until you have done some stress testing and you know your settings are stable. When you click on the Save button in ThrottleStop, it will then unlock the maximum speed of your CPU as soon as ThrottleStop starts. If you save unstable settings, this can lead to an instant crash every time you start ThrottleStop.

When you clicked on the 14X multiplier, it doesn't sound like you had any time to Save your settings so I'm not sure what happened. As soon as your computer reboots, it should have went back to its default settings. If this ever happens again I would also suggest unplugging and pulling the battery for a few seconds to make sure that the maximum multiplier register is completely cleared. By the way, going for the 14X multiplier on the first day with this new feature is getting a little greedy isn't it? :D

Dead2th3world: It looks like users are having fun with this new feature. I can't wait until the X9000 is a little more reasonable on ebay so I can get one for my laptop.

7. InfectedSonic

Reputations:
    i wasnt actually stress testing anything was just curious to see how high it would go before bsod lol. but yeah i didnt even have time to gasp much less click save :D

good to know that just pulling the battery should fix it though. Hopefully in the next few days i can overclock the correct way since i dont really have time for it now :(

8. MaxGeek

MaxGeek Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Holy crap this changes everything. Forget the PLL mod, I'm just going to get an X9000.

9. vic3210

vic3210 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    sad to say but this is not working for me :( I cant seem to get the multiplier to go up at all. I dont get it. I have an x9100. Can someone please help? Where did you guys dump the files for this to work? I dumped mine in a folder on the desktop. Is that the right place? I also did what it says to do in power options. Thanks in advanced

Attached Files:

10. InfectedSonic

Reputations:
    did you click the turn on button? once you do that right click and hit the unlock max vid. once you do that it should let you up the multiplier. it might take a few seconds before it applies so dont go thinking it doesnt work cause it isnt instant (well not instant in some cases :p)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.