1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

How to transfer avi (divx) files to Ipad?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Phil, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    I was trying to transfer a divx file to iTunes but it did not seem to work. I just dragged the file onto iTunes, nothing seemed to happen.

I'm running iTunes 9 on Windows 7 x64.

Any tips?

2. ifti

ifti Undiscovered

Reputations:
    You need to convert the Divx AVI into the correct format for iTunes - I believe is MP4 or MOV.
    Once its converted, you should be able to put it into iTunes, then sync it across to your ipad.

You'll find plenty of free video convertors on the web to do the conversion for you (I think RipIt does the job), although you'll need to pay a small amount for the better ones.

3. mindinversion

mindinversion Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Handbrake works very well for conversions, has premade settings for most apple applications and is fairly simple to use. Also free.

HandBrake

4. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 308 Negra Arroyo Lane

Reputations:
    You got my vote for Handbrake. It has video conversion presets for most Apple hardware built in, and will convert most any video file. MKV's included.

5. doh123

doh123 Without ME its just AWESO

Reputations:
    I've used Handbrake for many many videos... easy to convert and put in iTunes. Even if it wasn't free it would still be awesome.

6. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try handbrake.

7. snork

snork Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    +1 for handbrake. I'd also advise doing the conversion on the fastest computer you got in the house...be it Mac or PC:) It can take hrs to convert some HD movies at the better quality settings.

8. mmoy

mmoy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I use Handbrake and MPEGStreamClip for video conversion work. There are some things that are a little more convenient in the latter program. I use iMovie for minor video editing. Works great for getting videos to the iPad.

9. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    Handbrake did the trick. It works fine but I've certainly seen faster convertors. Oh well...

10. chris2k5

chris2k5 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I also say Handbrake. I just wish it wasn't so CPU intensive! It makes the CPU HOT.