[How To] Transfer Alienware X51 Series to New Case

Discussion in 'Alienware Desktops' started by ivory_soul, Mar 21, 2017.

1. ivory_soul

ivory_soul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can use another Micro ITX case just make sure it can fit a full size GPU. Look on Newegg.com.

2. Adanar

Adanar Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking to transfer cases, every component bar the GPU is the standard x51 r2 setup, GPU is a EVGA GTX 1060 SC, i've never upgrade the power supply but never had any issues with regards to shutdowns, current problem is the lack of airflow in the case, since it's so small, during high load gaming the temperature can reach anywhere between 70-80 degrees, I'm not immensely confident about taking the whole thing apart and shifting it to a new case, and wanted to know if anyone can link me a case where I can just remove everything from the x51 and move it straight to the new case with as little hassle as possible so there's less for me to screw up along the way. And I really mean everything, motherboard, optical drive you name it I mean to fully gut this thing.

3. ivory_soul

Reputations:
    70-80 degrees is normal. Even in my new case (which is long gone. I don't have any original Alienware parts anymore or the case posted in my first post), I get into the low 70s with high-end fans and good airflow. I wouldn't bother with the hassle of switching everything. Unless you're going above 80 degrees often I wouldn't worry. With my 970 in my old X51 case, I always hit 80 degrees and pretty much stayed there.

However, if you do decide to switch anyways, there's no "hassle-free" switch as everything in the X51 case is proprietary and has a special power board that everything is plugged into. The actual motherboard isn't even a standard micro ITX motherboard and the GPU will even block a fan port on the board. The board was designed for the layout of the X51 case. You even have to get Molex cables for all your fans in the new case and plug them straight into the PSU as there are only two fan ports on the motherboard and one is blocked by the GPU. This motherboard was designed for the GPU cage and not to have one directly plugged into the board. You would still have to do the same stuff to another micro ATX/ITX case and you would still get restricted airflow. Micro cases are designed for workstations without dedicated GPUs thus the lack of airflow. That's why I stuck everything into a larger mid-tower case despite how silly that small motherboard looked in there. Also, understand, there's no IO shield for this motherboard as it's part of the X51 chassis itself. I had to use clear tape over the IO ports and cut out the ports I was using. This is my new current setup by the way. Full tempered glass case and RGB fans.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    how to delete my meetme account

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  4. Adanar

Adanar Newbie

Reputations:
    Fair enough, I'll take your word for it. One other thing, I mentioned about never having shutdown problems when using, previously a gtx 970, and now a 1060, i've never changed from the smaller power supply so should I be concerned about that or just count my blessings.

5. ivory_soul

Reputations:
    I'm not sure why you don't have shut downs. It also depends on what card you have. I had the EVGA 970 and I even tried putting a 1070 in (Nvidia Founder's Edition) and I had complete shut downs a lot. I: even replaced my power supply, but there's a slight possibility my power board was going out, but I could never confirm that. It could be your GPU is slightly underclocked or there's some sort of throttling going on. I'm not sure.

6. Adanar

Adanar Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, seems to be running any brand new games on maximum settings no problem, has no shutdowns, my only concern was the heat production, guess i'm just very lucky. Thanks for all the help.

7. mjs22002

mjs22002 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you ivory_soul. Got a 2014 x51r2 with i7-4970 with gtx760 and biggest issue is gpu overheating that requires regular thermal paste changing. Decided to use accelero twin turbo and 3 x 12cm fan with new case. Ur guide really helps for those clinging on to the x51 build. No complaints for the moment good air ventilation now just spending $150. Gpu temp also very stable, will share benchmarks and rig setup for the rest later. Thank you again for starting the thread. Kudos to you!

8. justin music

justin music Newbie

Reputations:
    Am I missing anything i have the Alienware x51 r2 and wanted to move to new case. From what I am reading all I need to move to a new case is thermal paste, cpu cooler, case, sata cables, and fans if needed. Or am I missing something?

9. ivory_soul

Reputations:
    You use the CPU cooler that's already in the case. That should be it. Make sure you use a pea sized drop of paste at the center and press down evenly. Do not lift up or you have to do it over. Get some thermal paste remover as well to take the old stuff off.