[How To] Transfer Alienware X51 Series to New Case

Discussion in 'Alienware Desktops' started by ivory_soul, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Woland77

Woland77 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same questions, but I'm going to frame it differently.

I have a stock x51 r2, but I want to upgrade to a 1080.

How much of my X51 can I mothball for use in a new computer? I don't really have issues with the rest of it (though I wouldn't say no to a second HDD). I know I have to replace the power supply, but how do I go about figuring out which supply to get? Does it depend on what new case I get (like, do I choose the case first and then pick the power supply, or go the other way around)? I don't care at all about the lighting effects on the case.

Thanks for any thoughts!

2. Prasad K

Prasad K Newbie

Reputations:
    I have transferred my X51R1 motherboard to a new case and have a question.Where is the front motherboard usb 2.0 header?Some people have said that there are 2 9 pin headers next to the 24 pin plug.However they seem to be larger than the standerd 9 pin header.Do I need to connect both headers to my usb cable ?With what kind of cable?

3. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    those look like standard 2.0 headers above, if yours has those there should not be an issue using standard 2.0 header cables, they should just pop on there
    [​IMG]
    the blue type is a 3.0 header (19pin), for that your case needs front 3.0 ports + 3.0 cable > if the case has front 2.0s, but your mthrbrd has blue 3.0 header then you can buy a 2.0 to 3.0 adapter
    [​IMG]
    otherwise, wait for someone to help u out since I do not own one of these. If the problem is indeed the mthrbrd has 3.0 but the case has 2.0, in some instances you can contact the manufacturer or their sales / accessories page & look for a 3.0upgrade kit for the case when available > if not available, you can try to shop for off-the-shelf 3.0 cables of correct length & correct ports layout & install them yourself if you find the right ones, similar to below
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  4. Prasad K

Prasad K Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your response.Since there are two of these headers and my case had only two front usb ports do you have to connect both of them?I thought each usb case header connected to 2 ports?

Cass-Olé likes this.
  5. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    two of what headers, 2.0 or 3.0
    which type of fronts, 2.0 or 3.0

It's like this: the top photo of mthrbrd w/two 2.0 headers, each header could run a pair of 2.0 ports, so four total > two ports per header, two devices per header, four total

The photo of mthrbrd w/blue 3.0 header can also run two ports, but since it has one header, it runs half as many as the 2.0 mthrbrd

See bottom photo of 3.0 cable > 'two ports' on the left, 'header connector' on the right = two ports per header

Top 2.0 mthrbrd has two headers = four ports
    [​IMG]

Bottom 3.0 mthrbrd has one header = two ports
    [​IMG]
    single 2.0 header, powers dual-ports, see below
    [​IMG]
    above, a USB2.0 header connector > each 9pin 5x5 2.0 header can run a pair of ports, one port in top pin row, one in bottom pin row
    Same is true for 3.0 > each 19pin 10x10 runs a pair of ports from top/bottom row of pins
    • look @ photos or post your own for someone to work this out
    edit: if you own the top motherboard with the pair of 2.0 headers, but your new case only has 'a pair of 2.0 ports', plug the black 5x5 into a header & leave the other header alone > each header powers two ports > see the white 2.0 rear-slot-bracket photos = two ports per black 5x5

if you want to populate that un-used 2.0 header, buy the white rear bracket type I just posted to add two more ports to the rear of case, get one with a long enough cable

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  6. Prasad K

Prasad K Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your prompt reply.My motherboard looks like the one on top but it has only two usb 2.0 ports in front .I was surprised by the dual headers.