[How To] Transfer Alienware X51 Series to New Case

Discussion in 'Alienware Desktops' started by ivory_soul, Mar 21, 2017.

1. RayRallen7

RayRallen7 Newbie

Reputations:
    Could you please make the guide? I am very interested! I have a Gtx 970 in my X51 R2 and it has just started to constantly crash due to the power supply. I would really love to see your guide as i am pretty much a amateur at knowing what to buy or replace but you seem to know your stuff. Do i need a new motherboard? Is the power supply that you put compatible with the Alienware X51-R2 motherboard? Please respond soon!

2. LordMarcus

LordMarcus Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay so it's been a couple of days since I transferred and so far everything works fine other the power sensor error when booting the PC which can be ignored. Thanks for being active on this page my man

3. JS808

JS808 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Man, thanks for sharing this.
    I am trying to do the same thing, but have 2 issues here:
    1. how did you connect front panel headers? My case headers are very tall and graphic card is blocking them. And I don't even know which is which..
    2. does the wifi card still working?

THanks,
    JS

4. ivory_soul

ivory_soul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Follow this guide for the front panel headers. They are color coded differently as Alienware has a custom power board.

[​IMG]

For question number two, the wifi card does work. Take the antenna wires (with the small hooks attached) and wire them as close to the top of the case as you can, but they need to be touching the metal of the case. I also upgraded my Wifi card to a Killer N1202 before transferring the case (about a year before) and I get a better connection than I did with it in the old Alienware case.

5. JS808

JS808 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks man!

I got front panel headers working.

For wifi, I attached wifi antenna to the case. But wifi speed dropped almost half. But it's working.

I could put graphic card directly on x51's motherboard, I bought a pcie extender instead.

Still, thanks a lot!

6. Tap0matic

Tap0matic Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, so I just made an attempt at transferring my x51 to a new case. I've gotten a new gpu and power supply (gtx 1050 and corsair cx750m to be exact). My main issue is that nothing seems to be powering up. Can you help to see what might be causing the issue? I've checked all the cables and it seems like everything is connected to where it's supposed to be. I'll keep trying until I hear back from you. Thanks

7. wilson_B

wilson_B Newbie

Reputations:
    IF you could make the guide that will be nice so here are what we might want in the guide:
    1. The cables that might be needed to do this migration
    2. How did you connect the front panel for your case.
    3. How did you connect power to your hard disk drive
    4. Did you encounter any error/problems while doing this?
    5. Why did you choose the parts you chose and if it ok to use some other parts
    6. Was everything plug and play? did the OS work properly? was there any need to change any setting in the BIOS?
    7. Thank you and much appreciated BTW Hello everyone am new here.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  8. wilson_B

wilson_B Newbie

Reputations:

9. ivory_soul

ivory_soul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'll just go ahead and answer your questions one by one.

1. You can't use any cables in the original case as they are too short and the SATA cables won't work for some reason. Just buy as many SATAIII cables as you need, remember you can have up to 3 HDDs with this mobo.
    2. I connected the front panel case using this image. Whatever case you buy will have it's own power cables for whatever front panel stuff it has. ALL will have a power and reset cable
    [​IMG]
    3. Power is pretty easy, whatever power supply you have will have plenty of power cables for each HDD you use
    4. I did not encounter a single error and I was pleasantly surprised by this
    5. I chose what was available at my local electronics store as I didn't want to wait for shipping. You can use ANY case or PSU you want really
    6. Everything was plug and play and the OS was just fine. I didn't need to uninstall or reinstall anything. The only thing you need to do is disable the power check at startup in the BIOS. Otherwise, you will get a power error and have to press a button to continue startup.

wilson_B likes this.
  10. wilson_B

wilson_B Newbie

Reputations:
    I appreciate your response and hope to try it real soon btw Envying your GTX 1070 even if I have a 1060 lol once again thanks. will let you know how it works out which honestly may take a really long time to do.