]]>

[How To] Transfer Alienware X51 Series to New Case

Discussion in 'Alienware Desktops' started by ivory_soul, Mar 21, 2017.

1. ivory_soul

ivory_soul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I just spent all day and night researching and actually doing this. A lot of the reasons why people will transfer the X51 into a new case is that it doesn't support GPUs outside of what's supported 90% of the time. The problem is the 330W PSU just isn't enough for newer GPUs and I have personally experienced shutdowns on a GTX 970 and 1070 for a total of 2 years now. I spent dozens of hours troubleshooting from buying a new power supply brick to drivers and hardware. It's just not enough power and as much as I absolutely loved my X51-R2 it was time say goodbye. I spent $400 on a new GPU and 5 seconds into Wildlands or The Witcher and it shuts down. It was a gamble with the 970 as it would only shut down with a select few games. I got frustrated and one night tore the computer apart and transferred it all over. I also used the correct blower style cards and they were reference GPUs as to make sure they weren't overclocked and consuming too much power.

Before I actually spend several hours writing the guide, would anyone be interested? There's currently no comprehensive guide online as I had to piece together info from dozens and dozens of forums and also use my own guess work. It's not an easy task but can be done on a $150 budget for people who still want to use their parts. Let me know what you guys think and I will provide support in this thread for as long as people want.

Part List:

Case: Raidmax Viper GX $70
    Fans: Antec TriQuiet (x3) $7 ea.
    Cables: Generic SATAIII cables (x3) $3 ea.
    PSU: Corsair CX750M $80
    Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver Paste Remover and Arctic Silver 5 Paste $20

Final Total: About $200

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    JS808, RayRallen7 and katalin_2003 like this.
  2. purple.haze

purple.haze Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, Im just into transfering my X51 r2 to a new case as i Want to upgrade to a new gtx 1080.

Can you pls get into details about the process? It wil be really appreciate.

3. ivory_soul

Reputations:
    What details do you need?

4. mwdmike

mwdmike Newbie

Reputations:
    At the very least, I'd be interested in seeing a list of parts you needed to do it.

I have an x51 r2 that no longer fits my needs. I'm debating whether it's a better choice to swap it into a new case and upgrade the components one by one, or if i should just scrap it and make a new system. Right now the 16GB of RAM is my biggest bottleneck. I realize I'll need a new mobo to solve that. From my initial search, I can do a swap and RAM upgrade for around $400 https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/HsvGgL (need optical out for my sound setup), which will give me a small window to upgrade from in the future, basically just the GPU and a Core i7-4790K.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  5. ivory_soul

Reputations:
    You shouldn't be bottlenecking with 16GB. I have 16GB and it's more than enough. You need to get rid of crapware and software that sits in the memory. For $200 or less you can swap everything. Don't waste money on an old mobo. I'm going to buy a new mobo, CPU, and RAM eventually, but everything runs great right now still. Spending money to keep an older CPU is silly. Just buy everything for a 7th gen Intel cpu. About $700 is what I'm looking at for all 3.

6. LordMarcus

LordMarcus Newbie

Reputations:
    So I am gonna upgrade my Alienware X51 case because every time I play high end games it crashes like Witcher 3, Titanfall 2. First question: Will changing my case with a 550w PSU fix this problem? Second question: What are the parts I need to transfer a SSD into this case? Thank you

7. ivory_soul

Reputations:
    Is it crashing as in shutting down/rebooting? Or are you just getting an error? If it's an error that's a software problem most likely. What GPU do you have? That will determine what PSU you need. To get an SSD in the case you don't need any parts except a SATAIII cable. You obviously won't be able to keep the optical drive. You can plug in 3 SATAIII drives into the motherboard.

I also updated the part list in case anyone wants to know. It literally took almost nothing to transfer. I think the final bill was $200. If you want to be super cheap you can forgo the thermal paste and extra fans, but I don't recommend doing that. Also, think of this as slowly upgrading to a new computer. Once you're done with this mobo you can upgrade to a new one with a brand new CPU and RAM.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  8. LordMarcus

LordMarcus Newbie

Reputations:
    Crashing as in shutting down and rebooting. I heard this may be cause I have a GTX 1060 and the max power supply for the Alienware X51 is 330w. Here is what I was gonna order to upgrade it. https://gyazo.com/55f3fe422a0f55c591ca47747b2d9044 Just tell me what I need to remove. I already have a mini ITX case I can use so im not worried about that.

9. ivory_soul

Reputations:
    550W is enough, but you don't need the splitters on that list.The PSU already comes with the power cables needed. You need the motherboard, HDDs, heatsink and fan for the CPU, and that's about it from the old case. The SATA cables from the Alienware PC will not work with the new PC for some reason and they are too short anyways. If you plan on upgrading the GPU in the future I would get a bigger PSU. I recommend going with a 750W as adding HDDs and other components in the future will use more power.

10. LordMarcus

LordMarcus Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay, thanks for being active on this page. Ill contact you in a week if I need any more information transferring the parts.