1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

How to securely erase a printer's memory?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by The Fire Snake, Jan 17, 2012.

1. The Fire Snake

The Fire Snake Notebook Virtuoso

I have a HP LaserJet 1012 printer that I want to sell. But before I do that I want to completely wipe its memory. Do you guys have any experience with this? I don't know its complete specs, but I believe it has 8 MB of ram. If this is the same ram as computer ram, isn't the act of just shutting the printer off good enough or is there something else I need to do? Is there some persistent memory in the printer some where? Thanks.

2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Brain size of a planet...

It's RAM like computer RAM. Turn it off and any trace of what was in there is gone. It's not like storage media (hard drive, SSD, etc)

Only those fancy business copiers/printers have some sort of persistent RAM/hard drive/NAND storage, typically costs hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

3. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

If the data is only held in static ram, turning off the power should be good enough.

I though it was only modem photocopiers and alike with hdd`s that record all copies you had to worried about, make sure you remove the hdd before you sell or trash it.

John.

4. Ahbeyvuhgehduh

Ahbeyvuhgehduh Lost in contemplation....

Sometimes printers have a web based interface (like a router) ... if so you might be able to erase the memory from there?