How to restore your SSD's performance by secure erasing it

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Ultra Male, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    NOTE: Make sure you have backed up all your data before doing this as it will completely erase your SSD(s).

You should never do the slow low level format on your SSD as that would wear it out. Instead, you should do a secure erase which is much faster and doesn't wear out the SSD. It simply puts all the SSD cells back into a null state where they are ready to have data written to them.

Please read this article first to understand exactly how this works: What is SSD Secure Erase?

I like to do this before formatting to get that fresh out of the box super snappy feeling and speed on my SSD.

You will need to purchase GParted to do this though.

Note: If your SSDs are in RAID mode, you will need to delete the RAId Array in your BIOS under Intel Rapid Storage Technology then change the BIOS boot mode from RAID to AHCI until you are done with secure erasing your SSDs then you can recreate your RAID Array and change the boot mode to RAID if that's what you were on before.

1) Head to Parted Magic and purchase your license (it's only $11 USD) = https://partedmagic.com/downloads/

2) After you buy your license and get the download link, go ahead and download the Parted Magic ISO and use Rufus to create that ISO onto a bootable USB Flash Disk

3) Boot off the USB Flash disk by restarting your computer and hitting the appropriate button to get the boot options then select the USB flash disk. In my case, on my MSI laptop, it is the F11 key which F11 key which gives me the boot options. Consult with your computer's manufacturer to see which key gives you the boot options during boot up.

4) Once you boot off the USB Flash Disk, you will get a list of options on how you want to proceed, select the first option from the top [Default Settings 64 (Runs from RAM)]

5) Once you're at the Parted Magic desktop, double click Erase Disk, then choose NVMe Secure Erase (as that's what I am attempting to secure erase now) or you can simply choose Secure Erase - ATA Devices right away if you don't have an m.2 SSDs

[​IMG]

6) Select all the m.2 SSDs that you want to secure erase then hit "Continue"

[​IMG]

7) Check the box corresponding to "I allow this utility to erase the listed device(s)." then hit "Start Erase"

[​IMG]

8) You will then see a message confirming that the secure erase was completed.

[​IMG]

9) Now let's secure erase the 2.5" SSD. Double Click on the Erase Disk icon again from the desktop but this time choose Secure Erase - ATA Devices

10) I got a warning message that my SSD was "Frozen" so I had to click on the "Sleep" to put my laptop into standby mode, then after a few seconds I clicked on any key to wake it back up and the SSD was not Frozen anymore.

[​IMG]

11) Now check the box at the bottom left to allow the secure erase to be done then hit "Start Erase"

[​IMG]

12) You will then get a notification that the Secure Erase was done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can now install Windows again and enjoy the full performance of your SSD or alternatively, restore back a previous Windows image you have created in the past using disk imaging tools like Macrium Reflect. Also see: Macrium Reflect Installation/Usage Guide

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Will the SSD performance degrade once I restore MR backup? Or should I start fresh? Any changes to drive health?

3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Once you secure ease, your SSD's performance is restored as each an every cell has a fresh state and is ready to be written to just like when you first bought the SSD. Restoring any backed up image will not affect this and you will still get the performance benefit of a securely erased SSD.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Ok thanks. Earlier I did Simple Zero Fill and that reduced by drive health to 97%.
    Will try Secure erase this Sunday. I found hdparm --secure-erase cmd line. I will try it out.

5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    That is a very bad idea! Don't do it again. It will wear out your SSD! Parted Magic is the only tool which can secure erase your SSD properly to restore its performance without killing it.

6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    yep, parted magic is definitely the way to go, been using it ever since i got my very first ssd back in 2011 :)

steberg likes this.
  7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I used Partition Wizard WinPE to Zero Fill the drive.

8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Perfect recipe for hurting the lifespan of your SSD.

Make sure you read this article: What is SSD Secure Erase?

The way HDD and SSDs work is completely different. You can't apply the old school methods that we used to do to HDDs on SSDs.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    @Ultra Male is right, u can do that to regular HDDs before selling them off to protect your data, but for SSDs this is a waste of time and write cycles :)

Vasudev and Ultra Male like this.
  10. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've never needed to try it, but for Samsung SSDs, I see Magician offers a "Secure Erase" or something like that. Has anyone tried that? Will that tool also do a SSD reset for drives Magician can work with?

Vasudev likes this.