1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

How to restore Onekey Recovery function after changing partition size. (Y580 and maybe others)

Discussion in 'IdeaPad & Essential' started by link626, Sep 18, 2012.

1. link626

link626 Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    OKR will most likely break if you resize the OS partition. It did for me. If you try to recover with OKR, it will complain that the partition layout changed, and refuse to run.

The solution is to make a new backup image to dump in the recovery partition. If you change the partition size again, you might break OKR again. OKR doesn't like when you shrink the OS partition.

Option A- You resized or clean installed, and still have the 20gb recovery partition intact.

1. boot into OKR by pressing the 'novo' button.
    2. select Onekey recovery option.
    [​IMG]
    3. on next screen, press CTRL+SHIFT+O to bring up command prompt.
    4. Now you figure out if all the partitions have the right letters. OKR seems to only work if your OS is on the C drive. Type:
    Code:
    dir c:
    do you see the volume label? It should say "Windows7_OS", or if not, you should see the standard list of folders- program files, Users, Windows, etc.

5. now you figure out what drive letter the recovery partition is. Type each of the following until you see the volume label "LENOVO_PART" and a list of folders that includes EFI, NB, OKRBackup, and OneKey. The letter of your recovery partition depends on how many partitions you have already.
    Code:
    dir d:
    dir e:
    dir f:
    dir g: 
    ....and so on down the alphabet
    6. Change to the lenovo_part partition. If it is the G: drive, just type
    Code:
    g:
    Again, your letter may be different.

7. Go to recovery image tool folder. Type:
    Code:
    cd onekey\osimage
    8. Run OSImage. Type:
    Code:
    osimage /fb
    9. wait for backup to finish. Should take about 25 minutes. You will see "Backup Success ..." message at the end. Ignore any other error messages in the window.
    10. Check backup image. Type:
    Code:
    dir \okrbackup\factory
    You should see OS.okr file with several billion bytes size. Look at the timestamp, it should be a few minutes ago.
    11. Close the command prompt. Now you can either reboot, or test your recovery image. Your choice.

Option B- You wiped your whole drive, including the recovery partition. You have not installed OS yet.

1. Download the OKR setup disc- http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=cmMp2ZC7. Extract with Winrar or similar program.
    2. Burn the iso, then boot from it. You might be able to create a bootable usb drive too with unetbootin. But you can figure that out.
    3. After booting from disc, you see OKR installation options. Choose option 1. (Install OKR Clean Partition)
    Follow the instructions, choose how big your C drive should be, and let it finish making LENOVO_PART partition and installing OKR. It will create a 14gb LENOVO_PART.
    4. Clean install your OS. Configure everything to your liking. install your programs and other crap.
    5. Turn off pc, then press the novo button to boot into recovery. It should automatically start backing up your OS to create the 'initial' image.

You can also download try the updated OKR7 setup disc and follow the prompts. http://paste2.org/p/2245050. Should be foolproof, but it will wipe your entire hard drive and data. So this option is only for completely clean installs.

Option C- 2 hard drive option, or msata ssd+hdd option
    This option keeps the msata ssd and hdd separate. OS is installed on the msata ssd.
    It creates a backup of the OS installed on the ssd, and dumps the backup image on the hdd, so it doesn't take up ssd space.
    OKR button will restore this new backup image.

1. Clean install Windows, drivers, and everything on the msata ssd.

2. Boot computer using OKR button. Run the command prompt as instructed in Option A. On the LENOVO_PART partition, there is another folder called "2hdd". In the 2hdd folder, there is another osimage.ini config file that is slightly different. The objective is to copy this file to the main OSImage folder after backing up the original osimage.ini. Commands....
    Code:
    cd \onekey\osimage
    rename osimage.ini osimage.ini.bak
    cd \nb\2hdd
    copy osimage.ini \onekey\osimage\osimage.ini

3. Now follow Option A instructions to create new backup image.

When backup complete, restore original osimage.ini. Commands:
    Code:
    cd \onekey\osimage
    delete osimage.ini
    rename osimage.ini.bak osimage.ini

Then close command prompt.

You can also download the updated OKR7 setup disc if all else fails. It is configured to handle ssd+hdd setups, but may wipe your whole hard drive-
    http://paste2.org/p/2245050

If you choose, you can reinstall Rapiddrive after you have made a backup image. If Rapiddrive is installed, OKR will not allow you to make a backup image without separating the ssd and hdd first. See Misc 4 below.

Miscellaneous 1
    PTEDIT32 attached below allows you to unhide the LENOVO_PART to retrieve or add files.
    Must be run as administrator.

[​IMG]

The LENOVO_PART partition is tagged as type 12. To unhide it, change the type to 07, save changes, and reboot.
    To hide it again, change back to type 12.

Miscellaneous 2
    If Option B fails because the 14gb recovery partition is not big enough, there is another way to setup OKR.
    1. While clean installing, make a "primary" partition as your last partition in the list. Size it big enough. You will convert this to the hidden LENOVO_PARTition later.
    2. install OS on the first partition as usual
    3. after windows is all configured, use PTEDIT32 above, and find the last primary partition you made (PTEDIT will tell you partition size, so it should be easy). Change the type from 07 to 12 to make it a hidden OEM partition. Reboot
    4. Now boot from the OKR setup disc mentioned in Option B. This time, select option 2 (Install OKR Not clean partition). It will convert that hidden OEM partition to LENOVO_PART, and dump all the necessary OKR files on there.
    5. Follow Option A to make a backup.

Miscellaneous 3
    If you want to create a backup image that is factory-like, which prompts you to setup usernames, then you have to run windows sysprep before creating backup image.
    Go to c:\windows\system32\sysprep folder
    run sysprep with OOBE option, and reboot.
    After reboot, on the username setup screen, press CTRL+SHIFT+F3 to login as Administrator.
    This is when you can clean up the computer, delete User folders, etc.
    Then run sysprep again, OOBE option, and shutdown option.
    Then follow Option A to make backup image.

Miscellaneous 4
    RapidDrive installer if you want to restore ssd cache after Option C-
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS018450

How to reinstall RapidDrive and Windows-
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_IL/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=12870415982811

Attached Files:

2. broncito

broncito Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is brilliant thanks a lot. This should be a sticky thread! :)

3. soulkyo

soulkyo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the great info. Tomorrow I'll receive my non-msata Y580 finally (after a 2 month-wait). Which option do you recommend following? I'm downloading the OKR7 updated setup disc, is it ok? My plan is to backup the driver's folder and reboot with the okr disc and follow the prompts. Thanks for the help!

4. link626

Reputations:
    if you use the okr disc, you'll need to backup the drivers folder to usb drive. It will wipe the whole hard drive.

IMO, option A is easiest because it doesn't need a disc. I would try that first.

5. soulkyo

soulkyo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the answer. But if I want a clean install isn't it better to backup the drivers folder and just wipe the whole hard drive using the okr updated setup disc (the one with prompts)? Because if I use the stock recovery partition that came with the laptop maybe someday I'll use the okr function and it will recover to the stock configuration and not the one I want (which is a clean install without the bloatware). Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks! :thumbsup:

6. link626

Reputations:
    no, you don't need to wipe the whole drive.
    when you clean install, you only format the factory C and D drives. the hidden OKR "lenovo_part" partition is the 3rd partition, which you leave alone.
    during the clean install, you can delete the C and D partitions, then resize them to your liking, again, leaving the OKR partition alone.

when you do option A, you overwrite the factory backup image in the okr partition with your custom image, so when you need okr someday, it will restore your custom OS, not stock.

all of this without a disc. Much less trouble. Plus, if you decide to further customize, or you forgot something, you can keep doing option A over and over to dump/overwrite a new backup image to the OKR partition.

7. soulkyo

soulkyo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Perfect, I understood. haha i've already burned the disc :D Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

8. soulkyo

soulkyo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Finally received my Y580. When I tried to clean install my OS a prompt appeared: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."
    Erased all the partitions (including the LENOVO_PART) and it let me clean install. So I tried with the updated OKR7 setup disc and made the 14 GB Lenovo Part with no problems. But when I reach the clean install part I have the same problem: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks." It's like I can't have the Lenovo Partition. What to do? Thanks.

Edit: Finally managed to pass the Partition window. I had to disable UEFI on BIOS to avoid getting that annoying message.

9. panku750

panku750 Newbie

Reputations:

superb........but i m experiencing problems bro......
    Links are totally dead.........can u pls...find me a way out thanks in advance

10. link626

Reputations:
    the links are still alive. for both versions too

11. MSA487

MSA487 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    Dear it seams that you have much knowledge about lenovo,
    Please help me to fix one key recovery button, i lose it by re sizing partition. now its not function.

When i press the OKR buttun it start window normally, if i run it from desk top icon it give the massage
    "the programm cannot find the service partition"
    please guide me if possible.
    msa487@hotmail.com

12. fly2cr

fly2cr Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the post link626

Can you reup the links for msata + hdd parts links 3, 6, 8 are down. When you go there it shows good but after a minute it shows there is nothing there.
    Also the 4 parts to the setup disk are all dead.
    Thanks again for the tutorial, I would like to try it if you can supply the links again, (gamefront, rapidshare, putlocker, torrent.... any free service.

It appears gamefront has stopped service to Costa Rica, and I will be here for the next 6 months.Will someone post these links in putlocker or other free service.or a torrent
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/22288222/OKR7.0_20100511_145200.part01.rar
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/22288214/OKR7.0_20100511_145200.part02.rar
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/22288230/OKR7.0_20100511_145200.part03.rar
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/22288231/OKR7.0_20100511_145200.part04.rar
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/22288244/OKR7.0_20100511_145200.part05.rar
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/22288251/OKR7.0_20100511_145200.part06.rar
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/22288259/OKR7.0_20100511_145200.part07.rar
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/22288255/OKR7.0_20100511_145200.part08.rar
    Thanks

13. cipin

cipin Newbie

Reputations:
    Please, Can you reup the links?
    Thank you!

14. sensei22

sensei22 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My Y580 did not come with an mSATA SSD, however I installed one myself. How can I make OKR to restore the factory default backup image into the mSATA SSD instead of the HDD? if this is possible, can I just install RapidDrive and merge mSATA+HDD or do I need to do any partition re-size prior to this?

15. sensei22

sensei22 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    anyone please?

16. y580win8user

y580win8user Newbie

Reputations:
    @link626
    These instructions were great...
    However, the newer Y580's with Windows 8 actually have 6 partitions instead of only 4!!! (yes, I made the mistake of ordering Windows 8)

Here's my situation:
    I ordered the Y580 with 16GB + 1 TB setup. Windows 8 Rapid Drive is installed, but the normal RapidDriveTool for Windows 7 will NOT separate the mSATA from the HDD.

Without separating RapidDrive, I simply removed the 16GB mSATA and installed a new 256GB mSATA with intentions of a clean install. I used a Windows 8.iso image and burned it to DVD to boot from, installed clean copy of Win 8 on my new 256B mSATA and I left all other partitions in check. (well, now I've formatted the 1TB HDD for storage use only, but I left all the OEM/EFI/OKR partitions in tact.

Everything works great on my new system, except the WEI ratings aren't as high as they were on my graphics card now as opposed to the factory setup (6.8 now vs. 6.9 from factory). The Drive speed is blazing now though, (8.0 vs. 5.9 factory).

Anyway - OneKey Recovery will not allow me to make a system backup any longer... I get the "Current system can not support back up" error msg. Also, Win 8 has OKR version 8, not 7.

So I booted up using your instructions above... I found my osimage and ran step 8 in Option 1 above... the process lasted about 2 seconds and did nothing.
    Here are my drive letters: c:Windows8_OS d:LENOVO e: DVR/BR g:System_Drv h:Winre_Drv i: PBR_Drv j:LRS_ESP X:Boot (not sure if that is a real drive or the emergency boot drive)

In Lenovo's infinite wisdom, they have released the Y580 without proper drivers available on their site. They are included on the D: drive (some of them are, anyway). The versions of Intelligent Touchpad, YouCam, Power2Go, PowerDVD, etc that you can download from Lenovo are the older versions and even if you bypass the "cannot install unless this is a Lenovo computer" don't work properly.

So my main issue is I would like to get OKR to work again on my new clean install. I can find/buy other DVD tools. But I would like to have OKR working properly. The button still has function... but the Backup won't work as mentioned.

I've viewed several files on the OEM partitions... including I:\OKRBackup\factory\Info.ini; J:Onekey\default.ini etc. Here is the text within the OKRBackup\Factory\info.ini:
    [Info]
    BakTime=2012-12-18 03:34
    FacBak=1
    T12Layout=1
    VirtualC=0
    BootType=3
    DiskCount=2
    ImageCount=4
    DataPart=1
    MBR=MBR.okr
    PartStyle=1
    Success=1
    [Boot]
    Format=FAT32
    Lable=SYSTEM_DRV
    Begin=2050048
    Total=532480
    Used=56128
    Image=Boot.okr
    DiskIndex=1
    Index=2
    Id={242AF3F7-C74E-4D26-8108-95145A7106BA}
    Type={C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B}
    Attributes=8000000000000001
    [OS]
    Format=NTFS
    Lable=Windows8_OS
    Begin=4892672
    Total=1854259200
    Used=67169800
    Image=Install.wim
    DiskIndex=1
    Index=5
    Id={1D38FA88-A3FF-4E22-8B40-3FB66822B2E0}
    Type={EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7}
    Attributes=0
    [WinRE]
    Format=NTFS
    Lable=WINRE_DRV
    Begin=2048
    Total=2048000
    Used=956640
    Image=Winre.okr
    DiskIndex=1
    Index=1
    Id={31F8BC4E-AE54-4929-8A80-AF3449EF82FE}
    Type={DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC}
    [LrsESP]
    Format=FAT32
    Lable=LRS_ESP
    Begin=2582528
    Total=2048000
    Used=1017384
    Image=LrsEsp.okr
    DiskIndex=1
    Index=3
    Id={35216015-C2E4-4458-A2DB-6D0A3AB3CC0F}
    Type={BFBFAFE7-A34F-448A-9A5B-6213EB736C22}
    [MSR]
    Begin=4630528
    Total=262144
    DiskIndex=1
    Index=4
    Id={E5770E15-044D-4823-A334-AF48D789FA3A}
    Type={E3C9E316-0B5C-4DB8-817D-F92DF00215AE}
    Attributes=8000000000000000
    [Service]
    Format=NTFS
    Lable=PBR_DRV
    Begin=1911580672
    Total=41943040
    DiskIndex=1
    Index=7
    Id={DD0EFF0F-F702-4F4E-838C-DB9699175D26}
    Type={DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC}

Can I just manipulate the drive sizes on this file to "match" my new mSATA setup and then OKR will accept the new drive as the original? If this isn't the file to change, which one is? If Step 8 in Option 1 above would work for me, maybe that would "reset" OKR backup to recognize the new drive and allow for full backup?

I'd really hate to loose my progress and start over (put the 16GB back in and do a recovery from the initial image). Any advise is appreciated.

17. y580win8user

y580win8user Newbie

Reputations:
    Reply to myself:::

Solution at bottom.

Here's what didn't work and keep OKR operational -
    1) Clean install Win 8 to new mSATA. Drive was fast according to ATTO... ~555MB/Sec read. ~433MB/sec write. WEI was 8.0
    2) HOWEVER!!! The driver setup was not anywhere near complete. You just can't get your hands on drivers that are pre-installed on the Y580 Win 8 machines yet. My other WEI scores were lower across the board because of it. Plus all of the Lenovo apps are gone: OneKey, YouCam, Intelligent Touchpad, etc.

SOLUTION.
    1) I reinstalled the 16GB mSATA and used OKR from shutdown to recovery from original image.
    2) I turned off Rapid Drive by disabling it in Device Manager -- Right-click on mSATA, Properties, Policies, Uncheck both boxes.
    3) Booted a couple of times without an mSATA drive. Installed Image for Windows trial edition.
    4) Booted with my new mSATA drive in and followed the instructions in Step #24 at this link Migrate from HDD to SSD on Windows 8. - Wilders Security Forums
    *** I ran into PHYLock problems the first time, so I had to boot into safe mode to image all partitions over. I went ahead and did all 4 hidden partitions to the SSD. They only take up about 23GB of space anyway. Might as well have a copy of hidden OKR partitions too. Might remove and place them elsewhere after some testing)
    5) I removed the HDD and booted right up into the new imaged SSD drive. Ran ATTO tests and got same read/write speeds, but WEI score is 7.7 on my drive instead of 8.0. From what I've read Win 8 will re-eval itself as time goes on and basically self configure the new SSD as needed. Maybe this score will rise in the future?
    6) Installed old HDD and ran into "signature collision" error. I have an inclination that this may be what OKR looks for as the C: drive? Not the size of the drive perhaps? My new C: drive is only 219GB while the factory C: drive was 889GB. I had to right click on HDD from within Disk Management and it brought the disk back Online and I assume renamed it.
    7) HDD formatted, clearing entire old C: drive and making it new drive Z: for data only -- thus leaving the LENOVO partition as D: drive.

OKR still works (even the backup option when you are fully booted.) OKTheatre works. No errors so far. I've optimized SSD per Win 8 instructions online. It still have operational DVD10, Power2Go, YouCam, Photos, etc.

I think I'll leave good enough alone and run with it.

18. Y580 Win8

Y580 Win8 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all;
    Need your assistance on how to fix the Lenovo One Key Recovery (OKR) 8.0. My Y580 comes pre-installed with Windows 8 and have the OKR8.0. The Lenovo OKR8.0 is functioning well until last night when i clone the HDD into the SSD.

The stock Lenovo HDD has 3 partitions:
    C: Windows8_OS
    D: Lenovo Drivers
    Hidden partition: OEM partition

Last night, i clone the stock Lenovo HDD into my SSD using Paragon software and weird things start to happen. The hidden partition in the stock HDD becomes visible with a letter attached to it. This has never happen before when i clone it earlier in the day. Also, the Lenovo's OKR becomes unusable in the stock HDD after the cloning was done. The function of the Paragon software is to clone the stock HDD into the SSD and not to mess around with the stock HDD~!!!

Then, the Lenovo's OKR in the SSD becomes unusable. This is expected because Paragon has shrinked all the partitions when cloning the data from a 500GB HDD to a 120GB SSD.

My questions:
    (1): How to hide the OEM partition in the stock Lenovo HDD?
    (2): How to fix the broken Lenovo OKR8.0 in the stock Lenovo HDD?
    (3): How to fix the broken Lenovo OKR8.0 in the SSD?

19. r.b.

r.b. Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the great detailed description.
    But i still have a problem.
    My case is OptionA.
    Though I've added another partition and resized the existing, I can boot into okr and everything goes well till step 8. When i type osimage /fb it returns the following:

[INF] Exit Info: Parameter error
    Exit Code: 0x12
    LastError: 87

I have installed Win7 on drive C, drive D is my data disk. When I boot into OKR, F is My LENOVO_PART.
    My goal is to have system drive backup on the hidden partition, as a factory backup.
    Do you have any ideas on this error?
    Thanks for helping.

P.S.: this is Lenovo Z575 originally shipped without Windows (just a bare DOS and OKR partition).

20. jrbaytown

jrbaytown Newbie

Reputations:
    Link626, this post has been a MAJOR help! Why Lenovo support cannot help, I'll never know...but you've helped me turn my machine from a partition nightmare back into a clean machine. MUCH THANKS!