How to: Replace your broken (8600M GT) graphics card (in the [I]FL90)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Dr.Colossos, Aug 28, 2010.

1. skibet

skibet Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear s13 boy
    can I get your address so I will send it to you?

2. danielg4

danielg4 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did not take any photos prior to reassembling, but the heat sink mod I did with the wire cutters looked sufficient on the GPU.
    When the DPMS screensaver takes over, the temp drops to 58.
    It was at this lower temp that the lockup I described occurred. On a subsequent night, a similar thing recurred, but the lockup did not last as long, so Xorg didn't completely crash, but the screen looked like funhouse mirrors, and the only way to get it readable again was to hibernate (not suspend) and wake.
    Thoughts?

3. Dr.Colossos

Dr.Colossos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not really, no.

As you are on linux, I doubt you got the card for gaming, so I guess you will be fine.
    The laptop of my girlfriend, also an FL90 i repaired, also with a ATI 3650 runs happily since Ubuntu 12.04.

If you ever find a used ATI 3450, get that perhaps, maybe as backup, they are great for 2D stuff. Silent, cool, works.

Cheers

4. danielg4

Reputations:
    Looking at the 8600M again, the GPU is noticeably taller than the one on the Radeon card. This means there must be a gap between the GPU and heat sink, and Arctic Silver 5 is not designed to fill gaps. Looks like I will need to clean it off and insert a thermal pad. You previously linked the old mxm-upgrade page selling Sarcon 100XR-m pads. The smallest quantity of 100XR-m I can find in the USA is 15x100mm, at a matching price. The closest thing I can find in a smaller quantity (13x13mm) is 100XR-e. AS5 claims thermal conductivity of 8.7 to 8.9 W/(mK) without a gap, and there are reports that it can be as little as 0.92 W/(mK), while XR-e claims 11 W/(mK), and XR-m claims 17. I'm currently leaning toward just getting the XR-m and putting it on not only the GPU but the CPU as well, which currently also has AS5, probably with a gap. Do you think this is the wisest course of action?

PS: I found at least one report that a 3450 is also not as tall as the 8600M.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  5. Dr.Colossos

Reputations:
    Really, no idea. But I think either one will be fine. The 3650 does not produce that much heat, its cooler then the 8600M GT, so I guess you are good as long as there is contact, and the pad is decent, which I assume, most are. I just had great temps with the MXM-upgrade stuff, and wanted to share that experience.

Also, the 3450 does not have a temp sensor, so I cannot even tell you if I had good temps with it.

I modified the heat sink to ensure proper contact in case there was a gap. Then, I always used paste, only for the 4650 I once had, paste let it run too hot, so I went for the MXM upgrade heat pad, which worked great there.

So, in conclusion, try any pad, I am pretty sure it will work out okay for you.

Cheers

6. S13Boy

S13Boy Newbie

Reputations:
    1. Does anyone know if a 1.67v bios battery would cause problems with immediate shutdown upon boot up splash screen? Thanks guys. I'm waiting on my order of a working used motherboard for my fl90 to see if it fixes my startup issue.

7. Dr.Colossos

Reputations:
    Not sure. I know that the Acer 8930G boots automatically if you plug in mains, with the BIOS battery unplugged !?!?!?!

So, yes, maybe ...

8. S13Boy

S13Boy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Dr. Colossos, so I got my new motherboard and that fixed the immediate shutting down issue. I tried the card skibet sent me for free, nVidia 8600gt from an msi gx700, was not compatible. I got a black screen with no back light. I am currently trying to get a ATI 3650. I found one but the item description says the model name is GTX560M. Here is the link,

http://m.aliexpress.com/item-desc/32354588652.html

also, i was thinking of getting a laptop and salvaging the video card. I'm just worried about the chances of me getting a 3650. Here is the link you posted

http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=525...ics-card-in-the-i-fl90.513588/page-46&xtz=420

let me know if you think that aliexpress website has a good card to get. Thank you.

9. Dr.Colossos

Reputations:
    aliexpress link does not work for me, currently, but if it say GTX560M, keep your hands off that.

The 6530 looks good, should have an ATI in there ... image shows VGA BIOS, google for that too see if it belongs to 3650. Also, ask seller to send you a picture of the LCD with the laptop on. Even with a cracked screen, you should say something (if not much), because if you dont see anything but black, it could be that the card is faulty, too ...

Cheers

10. danielg4

Reputations:
    So in hopes of getting S-Video working, and since I wanted to put in the thermal pad and reconnect the speakers, I got a
    VG.86M06.002 (DDR3) from aliexpress to take the FL90 apart only one more time. The card works, including VGA, still no S-Video, still does not auto-detect the temp sensor, and it now idles even hotter than before, this time with ample thermal padding. I really don't want to take this thing apart yet again now…

PS: Also in my possession is a 3670 pulled from HP. I have not tried this card. Do they not have the VBIOS on them?