How to: Replace your broken (8600M GT) graphics card (in the [I]FL90)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Dr.Colossos, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tolakos100

tolakos100 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your help, much appreciated!;)

I will try the Acer forum.:D

2. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wonder if merely deleting the NVidia VBIOS from the SBIOS image using Phoenix BIOS Editor has been tried already as the solution to the NVidia VBIOS clash problem - I reviewed the JHL90's SBIOS, and in that case, the integrated VBIOS is loaded via Phoenix's regular VBIOS loading mechanism (so no explicit attempt is made to load the integrated VBIOS for all NVidia cards). I suspect the IFL90 should be similar.

Of course, there is still the issue of adding an MXM-SIS & interrupt handler, to appease picky cards.

EDIT: OS-Store is now selling Toshiba HD4570 DDR3 cards, modded to work in non-Toshiba machines. The mod (which was my job BTW - </shamelessplug>) itself is a simple SMD strapping resistor + flash ROM hack, similar to the GT230M mod discussed in the Acer MXM models & cards thread - only this time it does not involve replacing a 15K resistor with a 35K one, but rather adding three 10K resistors to the pads on the back of the card right behind the added VBIOS flash ROM.
    (Note that there are 2 sets pads on the back of the card in that area - one with space for 4 resistors, and another with 3. Use the one with 4 spaces, and omit the only resistor in the group that connects to GND instead of 3V3.)

Now, a HD4570 DDR3 is no big deal, but other eBay sellers are offering HD4650s on the exact same PCB as OS-Store's 4570, which should be moddable too. (OS-Store has no 4650s, so do not expect him to release a pre-modded card.)

And once you have a HD4650 DDR3, it is not hard to flash to MSI's HD4670 VBIOS. :)

Alternatively, if my theory about the regular PhoenixBIOS integrated option ROM loading mechanism being used to load the 8600M GT VBIOS turns out to be correct, then you can forego hard-modding entirely and just use Phoenix BIOS Editor to insert the MSI HD4670 VBIOS into your SBIOS image.

3. Dr.Colossos

Dr.Colossos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sounds great - but sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about, hehe.

Seriously, I understand a few bits, but apart from the BIOS "rewriting", the most stuff i hardware-related, right? I won't start soldering on graphics cards ...

However, would be great if someone would dare to try this BIOS thing - getting in other NVidia cards would be nice - ATIs are so much more rare and hence, expensive.

But, in case you didn't realize, the FL90 works with (a lot) ATI cards - I myself run a 4650 DDR2 - DDR3 is to rare/expensive.

But I am still looking for that 4670 DDR3 ...

Cheers

4. .NetRolller 3D

Reputations:
    That was my point: the 4670 DDR3 is impossible to get, as MSI requires service centers to return defective 4670s as proofs before they ship a replacement, to prevent using them for upgrades. (AFAIK there is no other card for which they do this.)

However, there are lots of Toshiba-specific 4650 DDR3 cards available on eBay, and they are easy to mod into 4670s.

And yes, I was talking about hardware modding - but in case of the IFL90, the integrated VBIOS can be exploited to run the 4650 DDR3 (or the GeForce GT 330M, also from Toshiba and also without a BIOS chip) without a hardmod.

5. PlatinumC

PlatinumC Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I saw a ddr3 4670 on ebay once, for like ~400&#8364;. Cheaper to buy a new laptop ;).

6. S13Boy

S13Boy Newbie

Reputations:
    @Dr.Colossos, I'm looking into buying a new Graphics card for my laptop since I believe mine is fried. From what I read it seems; the fastest, more reliable, and sure to work with no problem is the ATI 3650 DDR2 512MB (do correct me if I am wrong). When my laptop went into a coma my first attempt was to call the company that gave me the laptop through a school scholarship and as I projected it was out of warrenty. Yet the owner advised me to drop it off and see what they can do. I went the next business day and told him my situation (1/2Power up, all lights turn on except lcd, tried small tests; ram, vga output etc.) the tech there said that it can be a fried motherboard or graphics card. He gave me 2 motherboards and told me the words I only dreamed of hearing from a computer tech "You seem to know what your doing so take these and see what you can do" I sucessfully replaced the motherboard but still the same issue. Is there anyway it can be the processor? just want to make sure. Also going to attempt to bake my card soon. I will post my results when I do. however I do have a heatgun, will I get better results using it compared to the oven? and what method should I use to apply the heat gun to my card. One more thing to add; I notice that people are mentioning IFL90 and Compal FL90 what is the difference? Mine has no brand on it but, I assure you the Tech told me it was a FL90. My laptop possibly being a Clone; Will all the information mentioned in this thread work for me? Thanks for your time.

7. Dr.Colossos

Reputations:
    Yes, I'd advise the ATI 3650 DDR2 512MB, or 3400/3450/3470 if you do not play demanding games.

It is 99% GPU-related.

I would bake it - easier to do than with heat gun, and you plan to get a replacement anyway. I do not know which method is more reliable, fact is, it will break again later, that's just by design (flaw).
    See first post in this thread for a simple "how-to bake", or ask back.

There is practically no difference between IFL90, FL90, FL91, FL92 - at least nothing of relevance for your issue.

Back it, then go from there.

Good luck!

8. .NetRolller 3D

Reputations:
    Well, a heatgun has less chance of destroying the PCB (at least if done with proper insulation).

However, again, even a reball is not a permanent fix - in fact, it is no more effective than an oven or a heatgun, since the elements failing are not the balls between the substrate and the board, but the bumps between the die and the substrate. A "rebump" (infeasible) would be needed to really fix it.

9. S13Boy

S13Boy Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the input. I'm going to try baking it since it is a lot easier than reflowing with a heatgun. If I wanted to get a good quality (better for gaming) gpu would the ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 be a better match. I also saw the ATI HD47670 - Type II - 1GB DDR2 but the seller stated "overall performance is hampered by the relative slow speed of the DDR2 memory." I'm not 100% sure what he means with his termonology; is it not as good as the original nvidia card in the FL90? Also, would upgrading the processor help with performance? (Is it possible?) what about Ram? Thanks again.

10. Dr.Colossos

Reputations:
    The 4650/4670 will be a LOT faster then your old 8600M GT - however, it might happen that the 4650/4670 fall to PCI-E link factor of 1 instead of 16 - leading to bad performance.

This happens with some FL90, and not with others - you basically have to give it a try with yours, as no one can tell if it will work on yours or not. If you dare, go for it - you can get a 4650 for 120-200&#8364;.

DDR2 is not a problem, sure, DDR3/DDR5 would be better, but your 8600M GT is also DDR2 (basically, the higher the number, the faster).

More RAM and a better processor sure will increase performance, but new RAMs, new processor, new 4670 ... that might as well buy you a new laptop with warranty ...

So think twice ...

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.