HOW TO: repair your dead graphics card in your alienware!

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Rob41, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GkidShen

GkidShen Newbie

Reputations:
    cooking in the oven? for real??

2. SniperTNT

SniperTNT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey, all I know is that my graphics card functions again and I don't know for how much longer, but the oven definitely booted life back into it.

Yeah if you ever need to do it, preheat your oven to 385 degrees F, then put your card in for 8-9 minutes (NO LONGER THAN THAT THOUGH) and then let it cool with the oven door open. Once its cooled, put it back in your system.

Of course this most likely works with all computer parts, like the motherboards, etc.

So yes for real. Try it if you must.

3. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I bought this on ebay:
    AS IS Alienware m15x Video Card GeForce 8800m GTX | eBay

I thought I would get what you see in the photo (a 460m MXM 3.0 GPU).

I actually got an 8800m GTX that was not working (nothing on the screen at all).

I followed this guide (almost). I did only let it cool for 7 mins before sticking it back in the notebook (I don't recommend this, but I was impatient).

It works well now.

That's the first card that this actually worked on for me.
    I tried it with a g84 core, G86 core and a 3870m without success.

Now I know that $100 is a lot to waste on a dead card, but I really thought I would get what I saw in the photo (460m).

Oh well, now I have something to use in my old m17.

4. bootlegger

bootlegger Newbie

Reputations:
    Another success story.
    My Dell Precision M90 packed up. Think it overheated and crashed. Turned off/turned on, system would boot but no display. Plugged into external monitor and it did show bios and windows XP boot screen, but thats as far as it would go - would not load windows. Also bios/dos text appeared corrupted.
    Went to try and buy a replacement card on ebay but was stumped by the price - nearly half the price of the laptop. Some more google searching led me to this forum.
    I couldnt believe what I was reading, but I was certain it was my video card at fault, so I thought what the hell - lets give it a go.
    I extracted the video card, removed the heatsink, and placed the video card on a foil tray on top of 4 balls of tin foil (and tin foil wrapped around the plastic connectors to aide protection), put the oven on to 190C (fan assisted) and gave it 9 minutes in the oven. turned oven off and opened the oven door for 10 minutes. Removed the video card, and placed back into heatsink chassis and quickly tested before re-assembly. To my dis-belief it worked!!! I dis-assembled the heatsink assembly again and ensure I used a good thermal compund (formula 5 - silver based) for premium conductivity, and re-assembled the whole thing. Also downloaded the dell fan control software mentioned earlier in one of the previous posts. I am now typing this on my recovered M90 laptop. Still got to try some 3D gaming out, but so far so good.

So THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, everyone for this amazing trick.

Bootlegger

5. eke2k6

eke2k6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Asus GTX 260m success story here. My system has been freezing randomly, and it's been driving me up a wall. I baked at 420 F for 12 mins, and it hasn't frozen yet. Will update in a week or so.

6. Kaloka

Kaloka Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi my graphic card is also dead, and kind of certain is not a software problem, what is other hard fix before trying the oven way. Many thanks!

7. h83

h83 Newbie

Reputations:
    I registered myself to this forum precisely to let this message: THANKS A MILLION!
    I try this method with my dead 9800m gtx and it worked like a charm :)

8. Ganzir

Ganzir Newbie

Reputations:
    Even though it's been nearly two years since the last reply, I'd like to report, that it still works. I just retrieved my old M570RU, which I gave to a close relative of mine a few years back. Said relative reported the notebook dead, something about only stripes on the screen and asked me, if I wanted it back.... I removed the video-card and put it in the oven. And now it works again.

Thanks for the advice!

9. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Ive done this with GTX 280's back in the day. They warped abit under high temps and pressure form the waterblocks over a few years and being used 99% of the day at full capacity. The convection over fixed it (I always rebake cards, as first line of fixing it, and the microfractions wich are infact what the cause is. Becaureful to cover up sensitive components like your capacitors and diodes and resisters, I used black electrical tape and some insulating cotton when I put it in the over. Like dressing a wound. the place without the tape is hotter, cause its not insulated. works great

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.