How to reduce input lag on a 13 R3?

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by TheReciever, Aug 11, 2019.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Arent you just dealing with a real crappy panel? I mean the standard 1080p screen is a ghosting mess, especially if you are used to 120hz of responsive goodness. I see you already already thinking of selling it. I would try to upgrade the screen.

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Not in the cards, my troubleshoot and upgrade process is reserved only for the ranger. The 13 r3 doesn't bring enough to the table for a maybe solution and I've already got a buyer lined up.

Ghosting I can work with, input lag I won't. I'll just bring the ranger if I need it but the t440p covers what I need.

3. Cryzer

Cryzer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wait, I thought you could disable the iGPU on non-OLED versions of the 13R3 with Fn+F7. Maybe the specs of the 1080@60 display are just bad.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    It has never worked for me, redownloading command center now and will give it another go.

Still not working, as I suspect the screen is hard wired to the Intel HD. Also no option to switch off in the BIOS either.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  5. Cryzer

Cryzer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You need Alienware's OSD crap, command center doesnt make Fn+F7 work. You should get a prompt after pressing it.

6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Also reinstalled that and no change or prompt.

7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Just to clear something...on my M18xR2 Optimus does not add hella input lag.

On my previous 13 R3, there was noticeable input lag because of Optimus. One thing you can try to do is install latest iGPU & dGPU drivers, go into the nVidia control panel and under global settings change the gpu to be nVidia GPU always. This helped me a bit. The input lag was annoying yes but it seems to affect newer systems more especially the 13 for some reason.

Also update to latest BIOS if you haven't.

Vasudev likes this.