How to properly update your nVIDIA graphics card driver

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Ultra Male, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yes, Fox. I have used this setup as well with the Watermark Disabler. But I haven't done fully optimization of last tricks from Redmond Morons... Win 10 1803 April Joke Update. Not sure if I want it on my machine. I don't want put much into it before I know what I want.

I'm sure you have seen what Micro$h4ft Morons want you to use insted of the nice "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy". And I don't know how many who strugged to find the correct way when they can't boot into windows and try go into safe mode to fix flaws. There is still reviewers/persons who say you can use F8 as normal in Win 10, LOOOL.

Ashtrix and KY_BULLET like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    No, to be honest, I have not seen anything. I have not looked at anything relating to 1803 because, at this point, I no longer care about Windows 10 changes. I skim the articles that come in my emails, shake my head and stop reading about the stupid nonsense the morons are chirping about like retarded little baby birds clamoring to eat the worms from the mommy bird's beak. It is a disgusting product, designed by disgusting idiots that I have nothing but contempt for. They started losing me with RS3 filth and at this point I just don't care any more.

I will continue using Windows 7 and my older/better versions of Windows 10 until they cease to function. I view the updates and support form Micro$loth as being worthless, so when I say "when they cease to function" I mean exactly that. Maybe by then I will no longer consider computers a hobby worth being involved with, or Linux will evolve enough to actually be worth using as a Windows replacement.

Edit: Now that you mention it, I do remember @Mari1225 trying to implement these excellent old bcdedit tweaks on the latest trash from the Redmond Retards, only to find they would not work. We tried to help and it was futile because the newest product is castrated and broken.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Mavitas, Ashtrix, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  3. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Thanks @bloodhawk for the heads up. I tried that and it wouldn't work. Only thing it would let me do is boot to bios, then I changed my boot order to my CD/OS install disk. None of the other options would work. When pressed the other option keys, my screen would just flash/flicker once. Only option that would work was the ESC key/ boot to UEFI bios. It was a screen I've never seen before. If I see this screen again (hopefully I dont), I will take a quick pic of it.

@Mr. Fox , DDU version 17.0.8.5 is what I'm on now but there is an update. I just looked into DDU settings and it looks like my settings were reverted back to default (probably from the 3 week old system image)?

Anyway, I got some stuff to do tonight so I wont have time to mess with it. If I knew it wasn't going to crash on me, I would give it a go but the last couple nights have me a bit gun shy:D:rolleyes:

Here is an example of the screen I got except I had a couple more options.

774754.jpeg

Vasudev, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    OK, that is the version of DDU I am using, and I have not had any challenges with it. Your issue getting into Safe Mode may not be related to DDU. Might not hurt to check and make sure Secure Boot did not get turned on in the BIOS by accident.

Vasudev, Papusan and KY_BULLET like this.
  5. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox I will definitely check this out. Thanks!

Vasudev, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    Well at least that worked!:cool:...Thanks for that, now at least spamming F8 is an option for me.

F8 Command.PNG

Spamming F8 worked, just confirmed it. Reminds me of the good old Windows 7 days :p

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    If it is not Secure Boot getting flipped on and causing issues, run chkdsk /f and sfc /scannow. If no errors are found from either of those, your BCD might need to be rebuilt.

Vasudev, KY_BULLET and Papusan like this.
  8. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox I ran all disk checks and they came back with zero errors.

It's probably something I'm doing wrong I guess.

Not a big problem though, I can just run the Nvidia driver install and perform clean installs until I get the nerve up to try again:oops:

Here is a pic of secure boot option turned off in my bios.

MSI_SnapShot.jpg

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  9. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    Well I finally got up the nerve to give it another go. I updated to the latest version of DDU, downloaded driver 391.24, restarted, spammed F8 to get into safemode, ran ddu, restarted, installed new driver. No blue screens and no recoveries :p.

Thank you once again @Mr. Fox for giving me the command line/F8 option to better this broken OS:rolleyes:.

And thanks to everyone else who lended a hand in helping me with this.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Aroc, Mr. Fox, hmscott and 2 others like this.
  10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations: