How to properly update your nVIDIA graphics card driver

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Phoenix, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Did you check AV quarantine folder. WD flags DDU if Smartscreen is allowed, I have to whitelist DDU everytime.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  2. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have WD disabled. I've not even gotten to the point of opening DDU. I get hung up on the recovery screen after trying to boot into safe mode before I can even get back to the desktop.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That might have something to do with it as well. I have all of that sort of garbage removed and/or disabled. I do whatever I want to with my OS without any input from the Redmond Mafia bot net.

If you run DDU in Windows (not Safe Mode) does it work, or does something try to block it?

Vasudev, Papusan and KY_BULLET like this.
  4. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    It opens fine in windows but urges me not to run it in windows mode, to run it in safe mode only. If you take a look at Phoenix's video on the first page, I do everything he does except I get road blocked when trying to boot into safe mode using msconfig.

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    I will open DDU when I get home and see if any settings got reverted back to default within DDU itself.

One thing is for sure when this happens, I have a small heart attack every time when I seen my EZ debug light up on my mobo saying bad VGA lol!

Edit...I'm also going to run your CMD prompt command line too. I was wondering why spamming F8 did nothing anymore, go figure it was the Windoze X Redmond mafia.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 2:11 PM
    Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Also, never let DDU automatically reboot you into Safe Mode. I ran into serious issues allowing DDU to set the flag for me in the past and had to reinstall Windows on my Alienware M18xR2 and Alienware 18 twice because of it messing something up. That was a long time ago, but I learned my lesson after the second time. That was also before I was religiously OCD about having multiple versions of Macrium Reflect images available to easily fix things or undo messes like that.

Vasudev, Papusan and KY_BULLET like this.
  7. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    Yes sir I have Macrium Reflect too and it has already saved me a couple times. I actually used windoze system image the last 2 times because my system image on MR is a little old

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yeah, makes like so much simpler. My OSes also frequently get torn up beyond repair with extreme overclocking and benching on the ragged edge of stability, so it saves my bacon all the time. It's sad how fragile Windows 10 can be when you start pushing the envelope on overclocking.

I just ignore that and run it in Windows mode all of the time. I've never had a problem skipping Safe Mode with DDU. I usually run it with the option to do nothing (not shut down) and do not have the issues with black screens that it warns about. After running it that way, when it finishes I re-run it a second time with the option to shut down (install new video card).

KY_BULLET likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I run uninstall Nvidia Driver, reboot into safe mode (F8). DDU clean up and reboot. F8 and without drivers sign in. Install Nvidia with custom and clean up, reboot and put prefered settings. Have always worked for me.

Vasudev, Mr. Fox and KY_BULLET like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yup, that will work fine, too.

I do not have to disable Driver Signature Enforcement (DSE) using F8 to access that menu because I have it permanently disabled at all times. I can install any modded drivers I wish, whenever and as often as I wish, without having to do that. I hate DSE and do not want that "feature" to be functional on any of my systems. I view DSE as being a worthless, restrictive and unnecessary pain in the ass, just as firmware signing is. That kind of stuff is just retarded control freak crap to deprive end users of control and autonomy, LOL. If it was really because they cared and wanted to provide special "safety features" to those that want them it would be easy, and clearly documented, how to turn the driver and firmware signing on and off at will for anyone that does not want them. These "features" deprive those with a legal right to make their own decisions (end users) and gives control to those who stand to profit from imposing functional limitations they have no right to impose. The attempt to ram this filth up all of our butts without the ability to easily opt out is proof of their Nazi control freak idiocy.

Save as 'Disable_DSE.bat' right-click and run as admin.
    Code:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

bcdedit /set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING ON

bcdedit /set nointegritychecks on

pause
    Reboot, then run PainteR's Universal Watermark Disabler to get rid of the Gestapo watermarks.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 4:54 PM
    Vasudev and Papusan like this.