How to properly update your nVIDIA graphics card driver

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Phoenix, Sep 21, 2017.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Using outdated versions of DDU on newer drivers won't do a thorough cleaning and leaves residue behind. There's a reason DDU is constantly updated like drivers are.

2. wagnard

wagnard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes please DDU must be updated to be able to catch all recent changes. Not to mention the bugs that I fixed too.
    If you guys got any question or inquiry for DDU just ask me. I'm the developer.

HTWingNut, steberg, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  3. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    Hi Wagnard. I didn't know that you're a member here :)

Does launching DDU in safe mode for people who have a PIN or Password still cause issues? I remember 3 months back my friend had a password, then launched DDU in safe mode but his pin/pass wouldn't work so he was locked in Safe Mode.

4. wagnard

wagnard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah I was a member that didn't login for a long time until someone asked me to.
    For Windows Safe Mode, I didn't try it for a long time. All I know is that it's not a DDU issue, it's just how Windows play in safe mode now :confused:
    I think that there is no problem if you have a PIN if you actually remember the password you had originally when you created the account (Or the one currently associated with the Microsoft account) not sure exactly but its playing around this.
    It can be tested safely by going into Safe Mode the normal way (Without modifying the BCDEDIT as DDU does).
    By going normally, if it doesn't work, rebooting will reboot the system in Normal.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  5. macmyc

macmyc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The PIN/password bug occurs only if you have a microsoft account connected because it can't connect to the internet. I have a password myself but i never had issues with it because i got a local account.

Phoenix likes this.
  6. Awhispersecho

Awhispersecho Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So is this just an issue with Windows 10 or does it affect all versions of Windows?

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    Yeah that's what I thought since in safe mode there is no internet usually and thus the password cannot be verified with the Microsoft servers. Pretty dumb that the OS doesn't store the password in some local database though.

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    IIRC, I think the passwords are stored in a file called SAM or something. You can check regback folder.

9. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    +1 on this, @Phoenix . Because one of the first reasons I felt like puking on Win10 from utter disgrace was after I clicked checkbox in msconfig for "safe boot" (and I remember that box "make this changes permanent" was unticked) I got a constant bootloop without even mention of the reason like enter password or anything.
    It happened a year ago so I don't know if that was the same case of logged in MS account instead of local but I can say for sure that if boot was unsuccessful then your computer will be in bootloop for "safe mode" over and over again even though you didn't check 'make changes permanent'.
    So I bet there is no difference whether you do it through msconfig or let DDU do it for you. It's my speculation though based on my experience so you decide what to do with this info.

P.S. Every windows by default has it's 100-500 MB first partition so you don't have to download new iso or have installation media for recovering this: MBR and GPT have their own way of entering OS to this cheap recovery mode which will let you fix boot problems (not helpful in this case), open command prompt (helpful) or recover to the latest Restore point.

Vasudev and HTWingNut like this.