How to properly update your nVIDIA graphics card driver

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Ultra Male, Sep 21, 2017.

1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Nice guide. But why not just let DDU restart in safe mode for you so you don't have to do it manually?

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Some people has run stuck in boot loop and couldn't recover... Only a new clean Win install helped.

From Issues and solutions.txt file in DDU...

To solve the infinite boot loop issue (stuck in Safe Mode) / password lost that some users are having, you must boot with the DVD/USB (Windows installation disk) in recovery with Command prompt OR restart the computer (not the reset button) and HOLD THE SHIFT KEY until you have the advanced option menu and the option to boot with a Command prompt and type :
    Option 1 (recommended) : bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot

* Replace "default" with the identifier of your operation system. (can be seen when you run bcdedit)
    If option 1 is not working,
    Option 2 : bootrec /rebuildbcd
    There may need to be some adjustement if you have a dualboot system. but if not , it should work correctly.
    From my personal experience, the UXTHEME patcher was a possible cause of this.
    Safe Mode may not work especially with the "Windows 10 Anniversary Update" when CSM in the bios is "Disabled". (Microsoft issue)

Vasudev likes this.
  3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Interesting. So how is booting from msconfig into safe mode different than using the one in DDU?

4. Papusan

Reputations:
    From Phoenix Software Updates thread. For more info I think DDU's own forum threads can give better answers.

upload_2017-12-25_8-34-48.png

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    because if it works, great, if not, you have to format your computer as you'll be locked in safe mode and your pin/password won't work. Wagnard says it's fixed now but I don't trust it anymore.

I don't have a PIN or password anyway so it doesn't affect me. Be brave...be like Phoenix and roll without a password :eek:

HTWingNut, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    Welcome after:D

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    :rolleyes:

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  8. Awhispersecho

Awhispersecho Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey all. Been a long time. I'm curious if it's necessary to even update to the latest edition of DDU. I have been using a version of DDU that is probably 18 months old and never had an issue. Haven't been on it in a while and now I am seeing people talking about a problem with DDu and using it's boot into safe mode feature. I never had an issue with this on the version I am using. Do I need to update at all or can I keep using the old version I have? Also, is the problem with using DDU to boot into safe mode a Windows 10 issue or does it affect all versions of Windows? I'm still using 8.1.

9. Papusan

Reputations:
    You shouldn't use an old DDU version. Here we go Display Driver Uninstaller v17.0.8.1

Vasudev likes this.
  10. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Using outdated versions of DDU on newer drivers won't do a thorough cleaning and leaves residue behind. There's a reason DDU is constantly updated like drivers are.