How to properly update your nVIDIA graphics card driver

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Phoenix, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nice one. You could have deleted unwanted folders like here http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/nvidia-geforce-drivers-v385-69-whql-findings-fixes.809155/
    Since you install GFE separately, deleting those unwanted files like @j95 showed us, would create only some entries related to NV Shield and GFE.
    Let me ask you this, is there any reason you are disabling in game overlay of GFE? If you aren't using GFE overlay for FPS, screen recording etc then GFE isn't needed. You can get Battery boost settings in nvidia inspector.
    One more question (because you're a nice guy) were you able to get vulkan running on Intel iGPU, because whenever I tried on Optimus based system the performance was pathetic and I had to use nvidia's vulkan driver installer to get a decent FPS.

hmscott likes this.
  3. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nothing special, I have been just installing it on top of the current version for 10 years without any problem. I always install the driver and physix only, nothing else.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I have always installed Nvidia’s Alpha drivers the way @j95 do it. Fast and clean:cool: And why bother with Msconfig for boot into safe mode? Too many steps for me.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  5. Neil_Hines

Neil_Hines Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, everyone mentions briefly about how can we update Nvidia Graphic card driver. I'm also using Nvidia but did know how to update the driver.

hmscott, Phoenix and Papusan like this.
  6. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed the guide.

[​IMG]

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Legend S

Reputations:
    I usually check the option for the safe boot dialog in the DDU program, so when I start it up, it automatically will reboot into safe mode for me. I liked that it used to default to that option checked, but it doesn't anymore. Either way, good video, thanks.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    it doesn't do it automatically because there were some cases where if one was using a Micro$h4ft account to login to his PC rather than a local account, he would be locked in Safe Mode as his password wouldn't work in Safe mode nor would his PIN forcing them to either format their machine or buy some tool to hack their own machine to unlock it. So since then, one must select that option to prompt to reboot into Safe Mode manually

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I Use MSA on all on my Win 10 installs on every device. 3-4PCs configured the exact same way as my primary and daily usage PCs. No issues using Safe mode prompt in DDU. One user complained about DDU wrecking the BCD, so Peter Wagnard disabled that feature.
    Maybe I'll ask him politely to join NBR forums for more feedback for DDU to improve it further.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017