How to properly install an Antivirus / Security Suite in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Phoenix, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Windows 10 ships by default with Windows Defender which according to AV-Comparatives and my own experience is one of the heaviest Antivirus solutions out there. I know that it's free and convenient to use because it comes bundles with Windows out of the box but when there are better Free solutions out there like Bitdefender Free Antivirus or Avast! Free Antivirus, there is no logical reason to use this heavy AV.

The problem is, simply disabling it is not all you need to do before you install a new AV/Security Suite. To ensure 0 conflicts with your new Antivirus that you are about to install, it is strongly advisable to also disable the Windows Defender services from starting up automatically as they will still be running in the background even if you have disabled Windows Defender!

To Disable Windows Defender:

Unless you really want to use a useless anti-virus that is almost as good as nothing (see: AV-TEST ), has annoying definition updates that are delivered through Windows Updates rather than automatically through the app itself like it should, then here is how to disable it.

Firstly, please note that we need to disable its 3 components one by one exiting the settings after each setting change and going back. If you disable all the 3 settings together, Windows may freeze forcing you to do a forced restart or Windows Defender will simply ignore the fact that you just disable it and re-enable itself automatically.

1) Click on the start menu button then click on SETTINGS

2) Click on the Update & Security button

3) Click on Windows Defender from the left pane

4) Disable the components one by one, starting from the bottom (3rd option):

[​IMG]

5) Now exit the Update and Security Window and re-enter again then repeat the same steps to disable the 2nd component:

[​IMG]

6) Now exit the Update and Security Window and re-enter again then repeat the same steps to disable the 3rd component, after this step, you will notice the Windows Defender app turns the PC Status to RED = ie. Not Protected :):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After you do that, do this (you cannot do Step 1-3 though if you have Windows 10 home or single Language as it doesn't have the Group Policy Editor):

1) Press WIN Key + R to launch the Run Dialogue Box then type gpedit.msc
    2) Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender > then double click on Turn off Windows Defender and enable that rule then press Apply then OK to exit
    3) Reboot your system
    4) Download Autoruns
    5) Extract it to a folder
    6) Right click on Autoruns64.exe then launch it as Administrator
    7) in the filter on the top left, type defender, then disable these three entries by unchecking them (should you need to enable Windows Defender in the future, you need to reselect them and reboot before trying to re-enable Windows Defender)

[​IMG]

If you happen to see other Windows Defender entries as shown in the screenshot below, uncheck everything related to Windows Defender that includes EPP which is the right click menu shell extension and scheduled tasks:

[​IMG]

How to disable the Windows Defender Security Health Service:

While you can easily disable Windows Defender and all its startup entries/tasks in task scheduler, there is one service that is protected if you check in services.msc and won't allow you to change its status to disabled.

Here is how you can disable it:

1) Download NSudo 5.1
    2) Extract the content of the ZIP file to a location of your choice.
    3) Go to the following folder: NSudo v4.0\x64
    4) Right click on NSudo.exe and choose Run as Administrator
    5) Check the box which says Enable All Privileges
    6) Click the Browse Button and navigate to C:\Windows\System32
    7) type cmd.exe in the file name box at the bottom then click on the Open button
    8) your NSudo window should now look like this:

[​IMG]

9) Click the Run Button, the command prompt window should now launch
    10) Copy/paste the following command in the Command Prompt Window then hit Enter to run it, this will stop the Windows Defender Security Center Service: sc stop SecurityHealthService
    11) Copy/paste the following command in the Command Prompt Window then hit Enter to run it, this will disable the Windows Defender Security Center Service: sc config SecurityHealthService start= disabled

[​IMG]

12) Done

Copy/paste the following commands in NSudo/Command Prompt in this order:

1)
    Code:
    sc config SecurityHealthService start= auto
    2)
    Code:
    sc start SecurityHealthService

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Thanks for this. I am not installing anything else in its place, but making sure this digital demon is exorcised and its skull split open (rather than quietly lurking in a dark crevice) is invaluable.

Midas Touch and Phoenix like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Did you mean Win+R for the Run dialog box? Ctrl+R does nothing on my system except refresh the browser.

@Phoenix - is there a reason we shouldn't just go ahead and disable every trace of Defendirt with Autoruns?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  4. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I had no problems with Defender in Win10 I just disable all the reporting and leave the Real Time turned on to protect my system and have no problem running my multitude of software.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    thanks for the correction

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I don't see those task scheduler things after I've disabled Windows Defender from the app itself then GPEDIT but yet, if you see them, uncheck everything obviously!

I will steal you screenshot if you don't mind

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    You may have noticed it as you hadn't disabled Windows Defender to experience how snappy your machine can be without it.

Heck, for me, a simple thing, I have a software folder which has a lot of portable apps, each folder within that main folder has its own custom icon like for CCleaner, AIDA64, etc. if I have Windows Defender, everytime I open that folder, the icons load in slow motion as if I was running a Pentium II CPU! Disable Windows Defender and even install any other AV and the icons all load instantly! Heck I've even added the entire Software folder I talked about to the exclusions list of Windows Defender.

But at the end of the day, if you are happy with Windows Defender, then by all means use it. This thread is not meant for discussion of Windows Defender whether or not it's light or good, it's for those people like me and Mr. Fox who want nothing to do with Microsoft's Windows Defender. We have enough spying from the OS and I sure as heck don't trust anything from Microsoft to protect my machine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    tonyr6 likes this.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox

Slightly OT but...

Batch file for..... Disable Task Scheduler Privacy Related tasks-W10

Code:
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\ProgramDataUpdater" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\StartupAppTask" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Consolidator" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Feedback\Siuf\DmClient" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Location\Notifications" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Location\WindowsActionDialog" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh" /disable >nul

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox

A new Windows Defender Driver entry appeared after the latest Windows updates called Wdboot, check using Autoruns and disable it:

[​IMG]

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    New instructions have been added to the OP on how to disable the Windows Defender Security Center Service!

@Mr. Fox

Papusan likes this.