HOW TO: Preserve AlienRespawn - stock drive to aftermarket drive / AlienRespawn Q&A

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by BatBoy, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    singkuy - this could be what is causing your error...

Most double-layer (DL) DVD-R discs are really a RW (re-writable) and that will not work with Alien Respawn or most other imaging utilities. I have tried it with DVD-RW DL and BD-RW DL more than once and it always fails. If the disc has a RW logo on it, you need to start over again with a single-write DVD. These are not easy to find in DL version where I live. They are expensive, and apparently, not very popular because of the cost.

2. singkuy

singkuy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thanks mr. fox! that seems to be the case indeed. after inspecting the dvd's i did find an "rw" print on the top side. I bought an 8gb usb stick and it works with alien respawn just fine. :) I'll try and look for a single-write dvd and try it out also. BTW, can i use 2 pieces of single-write single layer(4.7gb) for respawn? (The usb i bought is a cheap brand so just as a fallback i still want the dvd respawn).

3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I'm glad to hear it's not something more unusual going on. That's good news. And yes, you can use multiple discs. When the first one is full, Alien Respawn will prompt for the next disc. In fact, it will do some calculations and tell you how many discs are needed before the disc burning process begins. You will most likely need 2 DVD, possibly a third. When I created my Respawn DVD set it took 2 discs.

4. vicky6672

vicky6672 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I own a alienware m14x. I performed a clean installation of windows 7 with disc provided with system....
    now after I downloaded and installed alienrespawn from the links provided in few threads..it does now detect my recovery partition though its there. i didn't touch the recovery partition, its intact.
    alienrespawn says cannot detect any recovery partition on your system.. so i am not able to create any restore dvds/recovery media

5. singkuy

singkuy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks mr. fox for the fast reply! i'll try and backup with 2 dvd r disics since the dual layer single write is hard to find. Hope that my dvd reader isn't the bad egg. :(. anyways thanks again! maybe you could also put it in the main post about the single write thing. :)

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    In some cases this simply doesn't work properly, even when using the Windows 7 disc that comes with your system. If you created backup media before the clean install, you might be able to successfully respawn using that media and it may detect the partition. If you do not have the respawn media, then the possibility of using Alien Respawn are slim. Given that you still have the partition with the files still present, there might be something in one of these threads that you can use...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/632931-cannot-restore-recovery-partition.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m18x/602055-forgot-make-alienrespawn-disk.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware/633540-tutorial-make-up-date-alienware-respawn-image.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
  7. varun.gid

varun.gid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey guys! sorry i dont know if this has been asked already but here it goes:

I bought a m14x 2nd hand and the person i got it from dint do a clean install. When i go to alienware respawn and click restore and then there is an option to restore on previous date adn there it says it will be restored to factory state.. If i choose this option, will it factory reset with all drivers comand center etc? or will i need to do the installing of all drivers again?
    thanks!

8. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Restoring to the factory state will do exactly that. All drivers etc will be "as it was" when it was built. If you do go ahead, it would be advisable to then check that you have all the latest versions of those drivers for your system from Dell Drivers & Downloads.

9. varun.gid

varun.gid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you! thats exactly wht i wanted to know!

10. Krayzie993

Krayzie993 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I havent seen this method of using the factory restore posted, but I also have a question.

My recovery partition is still there, and using imagex I was able to restore the computer to factory settings. Now knowing that it is possible, is there a way I can get the option to show up prior to windows loading? Would it have to do with the MBR.

Right now my recovery partition is set to active, and the system boots fine, just without the respawn option.

Any help would be great.

Now for anyone who wants to do a factory restore can. First you need to unhide the recovery partition so it will be assigned a drive letter.

Next you will need to download imagex, which I searched forever for and ended up having to download a 1.7GB file from microsoft just to get a 540 kb file. Once I extraced that I just placed the imagex file on the root directory of the recovery partition.

Now reboot and start up the repair windows boot option.

From there open command prompt.

then you need to figure out which drive letter is the recovery partition and which one is the windows partition.

once you do that simply type:

imagex /apply x:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 y:\

x=the drive letter of the recovery partition
    y=the drive letter of the windows partition

the path may be different for everyone, so check as to where the factory.wim file is stored on the recovery partition.

After that you are all set, it will do the work for you.

Only thing I noticed is some of my program folders were left in the program files folder and I just deleted the folders because those programs will not work after doing this.

I hope this helped someone and if anyone can answer my question as to how to get the respawn option back. It's obvious that it's capable to do a factory restore, but if there's an easier way then I would like to know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.