How to permanently disable Windows Update in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by lucirz, Jul 15, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    For me it always works. On top of that, you can delete files related to windows delivery optimization via a bootable Linux stick and that's pretty much all there is to it.

2. lucirz

lucirz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What Windows 10 are you using?

I don't know, if you google it, there are tons of people with the same problem as me.

3. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I am on build 1809 and not planning to move to the newer build anytime soon only because it is not stable yet. There's no point in being on the bleeding edge just for the sake of becoming a guinea pig for microsoft. It'll still be a while until 1903 becomes rock stable. Until then, I'm avoiding all the new vulnerabilities and loopholes that are being created under the hood due to all those half baked upgrades that are rolled out purely to collect user telemetry on errors and crashes. Not a good idea imo to upgrade beyond 1809 right now.

4. lucirz

Reputations:
    i'm on 1809 too, but i really meant to ask what version of windows 10 are you on? Home? Pro? enterprise? Education?

5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I am on Pro. :)

6. csc2ya

csc2ya Newbie

Reputations:
    Something that would work to permanently disable updates (although if you do this, you would have to reset windows in order to restore it), is to delete the windows update service by running 'sc delete wuauserv' in command prompt as an administrator. However, this would also stop you being able to do updates manually, and it may also break the windows store.

I've done this on my fusion5 windows 10 tablet, as it only has a 32GB SSD, and so I don't ever want it installing updates.

As stated though, the only way i've found to restore the windows update service is by doing a complete reset or reinstall of windows.

7. lucirz

Reputations:
    Couldn't you just backup the wuauserv program to external drive then put it back when needed? have you tried that? complete reset or reinstall is too much work lol