How to permanently disable Windows Update in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by lucirz, Jul 15, 2019.

1. lucirz

lucirz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    HOW TO PERMANENTLY DISABLE WINDOWS UPDATE IN WINDOWS 10?

It's terrible and full of trash. Every update don't bring any thing good, ****s up more things, brings more bloatware. If i really need to update something, i'll do it myself manually, i don't need to be forced updates!

I've tried the services.msc method, that don't work at all! how can i stop updates in windows 10 please!

interestingfellow likes this.
  2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Windows Update Blocker

Papusan and jaybee83 like this.
  3. lucirz

Reputations:
    Hi have you tried this? does it actually work? It's it spyware?

Sorry i'm always paranoid about installing something. There is not way to do it without installing a program?

Edit: i just checked out the program and it basically does the same thing that i mentioned above, which is disable windows update in services.msc...Like i've stated, this method doesn't work, windows still updates, MS has a workaround for this in windows 10

4. Spartan

Reputations:
    It's not spyware, it does work and it's not the same, there is a protect service button in the app that ensures the service does not re-enable itself on its own.

Another way you can try is using O&O ShutUp10, it has an option to disable Windows update (many choices, for you, I'd disable everything related to Windows update)

2019-07-15_203054.jpg

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  5. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.
  6. lucirz

Reputations:
    Thanks for the links..

just another question, i have windows 10 education version.. I here that Education versions and enterprise versions can disable windows update through the group policy settings without extra software, do you know if this is true? thanks

7. Spartan

Reputations:
    That's correct.

• Press the Windows logo key + R then type gpedit.msc and click OK.
    • Go to "Computer Configuration" > "Administrative Templates" > "Windows Components" > "Windows Update".
    • Double-click "Configure Automatic Updates".
    • Select "Disabled" in Configured Automatic Updates on the left, and click Apply and "OK" to disable the Windows automatic update feature.
    PS: Also remember to disable the service just in-case, hopefully after setting those group policy rules, it shouldn't revert back to enabled.

8. lucirz

Reputations:
    Thanks, i'll try this and test this out for the next couple of months to see if the service automatically get renabled and i get autoupdated again or not. I'll report back in a couple of months

Spartan likes this.
  9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    So you are saying that if you disable Windows Update service in services.msc dialog window, it does nothing to stop windows updates? Are you sure that you are disabling the service and not just stopping it?

10. lucirz

Reputations:
    yes, it's well known that disable the update services in services.msc in windows 10 don't work. IT works for windows 8 and below. In Windows 10, MS has other ways of restarting the services and forcing updates

hmscott likes this.