How to Overclock the Alienware 18 and Haswell CPU (or actually have it run full stock Turbo Speed)

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Oct 15, 2013.

1. thejungho

thejungho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have an Alienware 17 R1 with a 4930MX. Today, I bought CLU to do some overclocking. I used following settings:

[​IMG]

But my temps are weird. As you can see in the picture below, core 0 gets pretty hot.

[​IMG]

Am I doing anything wrong? Both dice and heatsink look almost exactly like the ones here:

http://imgur.com/a/JUQvK#0

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Download and run Cinebench R15 and wprime 1024M stress test (run as adm and select 8 threads in advanced options). Put high performance in win power plan and not balanced mode. Monitor with Hwinfo and post the results.
    http://www.wprime.net/Download/
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/cinebench-15-download.html

3. thejungho

thejungho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here the results (wprime 1024 stress test):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I expected better results :( Why do I get such high temperatures? Maybe wrong application of CLU?

4. Mirza Muddassar Hussain

Mirza Muddassar Hussain Newbie

Reputations:
    hi everyone. I am new here. I have an Alienware 17 R5 with a 4930MX. I am totally a noob in overclocking. Can someone guide me how to overclock this processor to 4.5Ghz.
    As far as info is needed I have already applied Cool Laboratory Liquid Ultra on my processor.
    My graphics card is GTX880m 8Gb and 512gb ssd alongwith 2x1tb hard drives.
    My bios version is A14 and at the start of this guide MR.FOX gave settings according to A4 I guess.
    So assuming that lots of things have changed kindly guide me how to overclock my processor to 4.5GHZ stable?
    Would be highly grateful ..

Thanks in advance guys

Hello Everyone.. I am a newbie here. I have an Alienware 17 R5 with i7 4930mx. I needed guide for overclocking my processor to 4.5GHZ... I am totally a noob about overclocking.
    As far as info is related I have already applied Liquid Ultra just on my processor.
    My graphics card is GTX880m 8GB alongwith 2x1TB hardrive and 512 gb SSD.
    my bios version is A14.
    At the start of this thread MR.FOX quoted that the bios version he was using was a bit older.. So that's why I am asking for guidance. as lots of things might have been changed in bios and everything.
    Would be grateful if someone can guide me .

Thanks in Advance guys
    :D

5. smoking2k

smoking2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    FYI you have a Alienware 17 R1 (Ranger) not an R5 unless your from the future and dell went back to using 4th gen chips. The M17x series went up to R4, Then the Alienware 17 series launched which reset it to R1. There current model is the alienware 17 R3 which uses non-socketed BGA 6th gen HQ cpu's.

Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  6. Mirza Muddassar Hussain

Reputations:

Bro kindly first verify the model then speak up ... Cause I am dead sure mine is m17r5... anyhow the question wasn't about your verification for model number..Question was to guide me through overclocking...

Thanks a ton

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Please show me where I get support for Alienware m17R5. Pict from Dell's support!!
    Regardless. Guide for overclocking your AW 17... Start reading from page 1. Same procedure for AW 17 as Aw 18 (So called Aw 17R5 *Ranger*) and AW 18(Viking)!! Aw 17 and 18 = Haswell chipset aka i7-4xxxMx/Mq(see info in Cpu-z)
    upload_2016-9-30_13-9-19.png
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Products/laptop/alienware_laptops

smoking2k likes this.
  8. Mirza Muddassar Hussain

Reputations:

I extremely am sorry for the name... didn't knew that a mistake in name or version would cost me such a big fuss.... sir reading from page 1 is quite hard you see its a grand post... i just need correct settings for this processor in xtu or throttlestop..would be greatful if you could guide me through that
    :)

GodlikeRU and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. AlexG73SW

AlexG73SW Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. TheCodeBreaker

TheCodeBreaker 7H3 1337

Reputations:
    can the 4700MQ be overclocked?