How to Overclock the Alienware 18 and Haswell CPU (or actually have it run full stock Turbo Speed)

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Oct 15, 2013.

1. jedfactor

jedfactor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    it goes up to early 90's max, but tends to be around 80 under sustained heavy load so think that's fine.

2. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Is there anyway to run the 4940mx past 4389.5 MHz. Currently I have all core at X 44, running stable. Even if i tried bumping to X 45 in bios , clock stays the same as if I am still using the core in X 44.

Side note: my temps never go near 60 Celsius.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    There should be, but I've never seen even one example of a 4940MX that was a good overclocker. I have had the 4930MX all the way to 50x4. It may be the power limits are set too low. Hard to know without more information to work with. Just setting the multipliers and nothing else isn't going to be enough.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  4. jedfactor

jedfactor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have noticed that after rebooting my laptop after sleep, the cpu speed goes down to max 4.0, even though the settings are still the same in XTU, If I shutdown and restart it goes back to 4.2.

Also is it possible to push the 4900 any higher than 4.2?

5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    A12 bios OC tutorial?

6. onlysound

onlysound Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I am using a translator for I do not know English. Is there any wonder that can show me how to make zero overclocking? 4930mx processor. Bios A12. Can you tell us wonder as illustrated step by step?

7. onlysound

onlysound Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, my computer freezes when overclocking if I did. Why is this? And when it was opened as crashes when I change the bios settings.

8. Christopher Kight

Christopher Kight Newbie

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox:
    I have:
    Alienware 18
    Dual NVIDIA GTX970M (6GB) in SLI (w/Prema's Performance vBios)
    i7 4940MX
    A12 Bios

I used your settings in this tutorial, although my bios looks slightly different from your screenshot, all of the settings appeared to be there. Additionally, when using XTU, the latest version shows some of the settings a little differently.

Those things said, my system appears stable (Passed 5 minute xtu stress test), although the reference clock in XTU at 100.3 shut my computer off less than a minute into the stress test. When I set it to 100.2 it passed the stress test fine. However it hover just under the 100c mark the whole time. Ranging from 95-100 though it did drop out of that range more than a few times, it hovered up at the top.

Thanks for your help and the wealth of information in here.

Are the fan/temp tables fixed in the A12 Bios?

Also, I'd like to tweak my specs a little more, but I don't even know where to begin. Any advice? I can post whatever data you like, trying to learn how it all works, and reading through a 79 page thread that also talks about other models and configurations makes my head swim a bit.

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    The fan / temp tables will never ever be fixed. Use Hwinfo64 fan control instead.
    Disable Xtu and start using Throttlestop. You can find the software in the signature to @unclewebb http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/

unclewebb likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:

Papusan likes this.