How to Overclock the Alienware 18 and Haswell CPU (or actually have it run full stock Turbo Speed)

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I don't think so. I haven't used the AW18 in a couple of months. Maybe later today I can grab it off the shelf, power it up and check now that I have A12 on it. Last time I checked it was there.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  2. Crimson_ET

Crimson_ET Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok, so when I reinstall XTU I have all the options. If for some reason I have to reboot, i lose about half of them when XTU comes back up. The settings appear to stick, though.

Im not trying to chase numbers, I'd go find an [insert anything NOT Hasswell], but I do want a better Physx score... and better (at least what was promised) performance in gaming.

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I don't remember but I think 2/3 latest versions of XTU is more crippled. Use an older version. Try also Throttlestop, but don't let Xtu start up in windows if you use Throttlestop.

Crimson_ET and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    You still have an AW 18 ? hehehe

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  5. Crimson_ET

Crimson_ET Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I tried to get the version referenced by Mr.Fox but it has been pulled from Intel. As well as every other site i tried. Even my version isn't current but it automatically updates. All i can do within XTU about that is stop the notification. Throttlestop is fantastic, just haven't messed with it on the 4930mx. Did a whole bunch of messing around on it with my 920MX, though.

Papusan likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I don't use my Aw much longer, but Throttlestop is the best choice for you and your Hotwell Mx. No doubt about that. Download from 1 page in Throttlestop guide and enjoy. Xtu is only a bloated Oc software now. I think It's intended that Intel crippling Xtu for mobile because they shuffle out only BGA garbage for laptops now. They are afraid that a lots of crippled BGA crap will be returned destroyed to OEM's because of the use of XTU. Intel know very well that they use junk silicone for mobile and OC killing those chips. Better with money in the banks for their shareholders than a lots of returned damage BGA JUNK.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Spartan and Crimson_ET like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yup, it's a nice machine as long as you lower your expectations on overclocking performance a bit. It won't win any speed contests the way the BIOS is crippled and only being able to use one 330W AC adapter, but it does a good job of playing games. I love how it is well built and so easy to work on. They got that part right.

Crimson_ET likes this.
  8. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Sweet. I kept one also.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    So, for those still struggling with 4930MX overclocking on the Alienware 18, I offer this for your consideration...

A12 BIOS using stock core voltage and stock power limits @ 4.3GHz, 4.1 cache, 2.0V input voltage, the 4930MX has no heating or throttling problems with Liquid Ultra. With stock core voltage and stock power limits it pulls less than 20W. This is using a new ThrottleStop Beta 3 from @unclewebb with PowerCut enabled... very stable new version of ThrottleStop for this machine, M18xR2 (3920XM), Panther (4960X) and Sky X9 (6700K). And, for a anyone-can-do-this-baby-girl 4.3GHz OC sipping just over 16W the wPrime score is not too shabby. Let's see a BGA turd CPU do that at 16W and 1.109V, LOL.

wPrime.JPG

Single 970M (from @woodzstack), stock vBIOS, no GPU OC. (Ignore the crappy physics scores because this is Windows 8.1 OS, so sucky physics results are a given.)

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11146331
    P10045-970M-AW18-Stock.JPG

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11519634
    6812-FS-970M-AW18-Stock.JPG

10. Crimson_ET

Crimson_ET Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Are you using XTU to set the input voltage? If so, what version? Mine auto updates every time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.