How to Overclock the Alienware 18 and Haswell CPU (or actually have it run full stock Turbo Speed)

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedfactor

jedfactor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah got worse performance with gaming as it is obviously getting too hot and throttling, will have to stick to defaults for now.

Should I change processor cache ratio to match the multiplier? or will that increase temps too much?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  2. jedfactor

jedfactor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Noticed something strange the default settings for processor graphics ratio limit say it should be 10.5, but it wont apply the setting after reboot, and also the processor graphics current limit says the default is 46.000A but it wont stick on reboot either, they are currently at 8x and 16.000A and im pretty sure ive never touched those settings.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That probably won't hurt the temps, but it may not provide a benefit in gaming performance. Try it and see how it goes. Up to 4.5GHz I try to make the cache clock speed to core, but I typically do not try to take the cache higher than 4.5GHz.

The Intel HD Graphics is disabled when you are using discrete graphics. You cannot apply custom settings on the Intel GPU unless you switch to IGFX mode. That being said, there is no point in overclocking the Intel iGPU. It doesn't perform well enough to provide a good gaming experience even if you overclock the crap out of it. Just leave it at BIOS defaults. When you are using IGFX it will add to the already problematic heat factor on a Haswell CPU running stock. That is probably why the Alienware BIOS defaults are lower than stock clocks on the Intel iGPU... no point in adding extra heat if you realize no practical benefit.

jedfactor likes this.
  4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Can somebody explain to me why if I go into BIOS, and I enable overclocking, the system bricks itself, even on stock settings level1 in the BIOS. My Alienware 18 is fine, but if I do this to my father's unit, it freaks out and bricks. If I undervolt by even 1mV, it bricks. What kind of STUPID design is this.

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I suspect you have already tried clearing the CMOS with the RAM removal trick? Still does it after doing that, too? Does he have the same memory modules as you do? Maybe it is something with the RAM sticks that is messed up that only surfaces with overclocking enabled?

6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I can clear the brick with the RAM hotswap reset, but the moment I go back into the BIOS, enable default overclocking in the BIOS.....brick. It is beyond stupid. And it doesn't matter if it is on BIOS or cTDP either. It has to be disabled, or set to level 1,2,or 3, then turn down multipliers and from there and pray it doesn't brick. I'm basically trying to get his 4930MX to run 40 40 40 40 with a 100mV undervolt like my 4940MX runs, but it bricks even if leave core voltage on default and decrease core dynamic voltage offset by -1mV. If I try to change core voltage to 1.18 instead of the retarded 1.280V default, it will also brick.

FWIW, the 4940MX runs 40 40 40 40 at a nice 1.0980 ~1.1010 V. I used to be doing this on the 4930MX too before I gave the computer to my father, but now nothing seems to work. Not even clearing BIOS and reinstalling XTU seems to help.

If I haven't made this clear yet, I HATE the Alienware 18 with a passion. Absolutely. Hate. it.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    How strange. Is it on A12? If you try A10 is it any different? And, over-volt is fine, only bricks with undervolting?

What about if you set the CPU input voltage to 2 instead of 1?

8. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    They are both on A12 (mine and his...mine doesn't have this issue at all). I haven't bothered with overvolting, runs too damn hot to begin with, even with CLU.

Not sure what you meant by CPU voltage 2 or 1. Are we talking core voltage static value, or the dynamic offset value? I've tried several dynamic offset values, they all fail no matter what. I've tried two conservative static values, which failed as well. What's even weirder is I had his computer for a while before I gave it to him, and didn't have this problem before

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    No, I mean Processor input voltage, not core voltage. Default in XTU is 1.000V and I recommend changing it to 2.000V. Try changing it to 2.000V as there is no in-between option. This dramatically improved Haswell XM performance and stability for me and I believe Papusan as well. It did not increase temps. I think some Haswell CPUs are just barely stable stock with 1.000V for input voltage and need 2.000V to function correctly. Again, this should not affect your core temps. It does not affect them for me.

If it doesn't change anything try swapping CPUs and see if the problem follows his CPU to your motherboard. If it does, you'll know that CPU is junk. Maybe something has happened to the CPU and it has developed a problem since you gave it to him.

10. Crimson_ET

Crimson_ET Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does one need A03 for the processor input voltage as well? The option isn't available to me on XTU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.