1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

How to order from dell US for non US citizens

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by mfractal, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mfractal

mfractal T|I

Reputations:
    Actually there is an international warranty if a 3 years or more warranty is bought. So theoretically i can service it wherever i am. I still fo prefer to deal with Dell US as from my experience they are more convenient. So yes, I will need to cross ship it to US.

2. jabij5

jabij5 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And if you do ship it over there do they send you the box with a paid return label or do you have to take care of the shipping expenses? Wouldn't you be paranoid of it getting lost or stolen in the mail? Who would cover it if something like that were to happen? Sorry for all the questions I just need to clear things up before I go ahead with my purchase (still have till June though, since that's when a relative is coming over here) :p

3. unreal25

unreal25 Capt. Obvious

Reputations:
    A question slightly off topic. Is it possible that you use international warranty in countries that aren't under Dell International Service Program (link ).

As in where would you take your laptop to have Dell warranty accepted? Shipping back and forth to US would cost a ton.

4. mfractal

mfractal T|I

Reputations:
    They only will send you the replacement to US (if dealing with Dell US), so i will be responsible for sending the old one to US.
    I hope i won't ever need to use it but in case i'll need it i will fedex it to myUS address and have them ship it back to Dell. (since dell are sending the replacement first along with return slips it'll need to be coordinated with MyUS but i am sure it can be done)
    Don't worry about asking questions, that's what this thread is for. :)

Hmm.. good question, some countries are not supported so the only option is the one i described above. BTW - Israel is not in the list you posted, but there IS dell center here, so it's worth checking directly with Dell if your country is supported.

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    So did anyone try forwarding a laptop from USA to Canada?
    I hear that you don't have to pay customs fees over a laptop (any laptop) as there are no laptop manufacturers in Canada. Is that true?
    Any reliable info regarding this issue?
    I ordered a new lappie that will be received by my relatives in NY. I want to forward it to Canada.
    Unfortunately, I have no one returning from USA within a month-two, neither have urgent plans on going abroad, so the only option is to forward the package.
    Any info on the subject would be much appreciated.

6. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Bump...

:wideeyed: :wideeyed: :wideeyed:

7. mfractal

mfractal T|I

Reputations:
    wish i could help with that bro ... ;)

8. mfractal

mfractal T|I

Reputations:
    Wanted to say that international warranty does work. I just serviced mine in Brazil without problems. Tech came the next day after I called, no problems whatsoever.

9. irkan

irkan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi

I just got off a chat session with a DELL usa rep, tried to explain for him my situation "I dont live in US, i have an address in US, bla bla bla"

he just kept saying no and its not possible unless you have a card registered in US.

ideas?

10. Audiophil92

Audiophil92 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Find another, more friendly rep? :) Maybe ask OP for the number/email of the rep he used.

11. irkan

Reputations:
    this might be stupid, but i cant seem to find how to PM him/her or anyone in this thread Lol?

12. mfractal

mfractal T|I

Reputations:
    You only can pm after 10 posts.

13. mfractal

mfractal T|I

Reputations:
    You might want to try to go with team blackhawk
    Dell - Meet Your Friendly Sales Agents - Team Blackhawk | Dell

If that doesn't work Ill dig up my old emails and find you the phone number of the rep. I have a feeling that it was a one time thing though.. Every other rep you'll try will probably happily take your order.
    Also, you can try to configure first and only mention that you don't have a us card at the end of the conversation..

14. irkan

Reputations:
    fair enough! will check out some other threads and get back!

great thread btw, this could save me lots of money if it worked for me

EDIT: thanx! i will try with another rep tomorrow morning, cuz i feel that this rep is gonna be there all night waiting for me, Lol

cheers

15. mfractal

mfractal T|I

Reputations:
    Thanks mate, I am sure it will. Did u see the info I posted for you?

16. irkan

Reputations:
    Aloha

yes i did, thanx! but am not sure i fully understand .. this team is part of Dell support team? are they different from the guys in alienware live chat?

a side question, I have read somewhere that if my company have contract with Dell than I can get around 10% off

the company i am working with has a long term contract with them (not Dell usa obviously) can I be eligible to this kind of discount or?

17. mfractal

mfractal T|I

Reputations:
    Blackhawk is a us based support and sales team. I had good experience with them.
    Don't think you can get a discount because your company works with Dell.

18. lewdvig

lewdvig Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    In my experience I have only paid gst (Alberta). That and any stupid ups fees. That us why fedex and USPS are best IMO.

19. irkan

Reputations:
    I got my alienware, m17x

but not through US site, got it from an electronic exhibition in dubai, did not expect to find it there, but i did :)

"Gulf Information Technology Exhibition (GITEX)" .

it was not configurable but luckily enough it was exactly what i wanted with less price than the US site (strange a little but woot for me)
    - i7 820MQ
    - 17-inch WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 RGB LED (1200p)
    - CrossfireX ATI graphics (dual 5870 each 1GB)
    - 8GB Dual Channel Memory (2x 4GB DDR3)
    - 1TB Raid 0 (2x 500GB 7,200RPM HDDs)

got it for around 3.2K USD, same specs (save for the i7 820MQ, i only found i7 840Q in the US site) in the US site the price is listed as 3,823.00 with everything else the same.

sadly they didnt have the carrying bag (but meh, its so heavy it can barely move alot, so why bother getting a bag :p)

anyone in the middle east who wanted alienware hope he/she already got it from there, if not wait for next year, IT WILL BE WORTH IT :)

cheers and thanx for the help guys

20. magneonx

magneonx Newbie

Reputations:
    this is a great thread, this solve my problem because I am planning to buy an aw. Hidevolution solved mine. I am living in the philippines. I can have cheaper laptop.

I can configure a m11x in hidevolution 969usd and have the specs I want for 1119usd plus the shipping 90usd and an orochi gaming mouse 80usd.

But I dont trust this company with ease. Can you confirm hidevo as a reliable company that can take the product that I bought with no hassles and problem free? Would they steal my money?

edit:
    try this site...

http://www.hidevolution.com/11-laptops-5/alienware-m11x-custom-built-to-order.html?options=cart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.