How to Optimize Any Sony VAIO With a Semi-Clean Install

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by NinjaNoodles, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I didn't do all this. I optmized my vaio manually.

uninstall crap (to mention a few - norton, adobe pro 8 trial, ms office trial, napster, aol, spysweeper, vaio productivity, security, etc > registry clean > change unnecessary services to manual start up > defrag ur hard drive. This should cut down ur start up time, improve system responsivenes considerably.

2. Kaze

Kaze Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    about step 5 of the guide, does killing it later allow some files to be installed? do you have to kill the process as fast as possible or will no files be installed as long as you kill the process?

also I noticed another weird thing... the more programs i uninstall the more processes I get.... what's up with that?? I started off with 61 running and now i'm at 66..

3. dotHack

dotHack Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    At the start of the psot it says it works on Vaio CR, but have anyone tried? 'cause I read the whole topic and couldn't find any opinions about it..., maybe the author of this topic had a CR or something but anyways.. you get the point =P

4. NinjaNoodles

NinjaNoodles Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I own a CR, yes. Kaze, to my understanding you can kill the process within a time frame before installation files are moved from a temp folder to their proper locations.

5. fablex

fablex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hmm, i just tried it on my SZ61XN/C (Europe Premium model) and it doesn't seem to work. I push F10, then the recovery stuff runs (format hard drive, then install windows, restart and it goes to the screen where you put the username, pass, etc.). After that I can just login Windows Vista and another progrum runs to "check the applications, or otherwise the system might run unstable" or something in that directions. I break that process (VARU.exe, same as in the recovery folder), but I still have 66 processes running and all the stuff is installed (Norton, google crap, tons of VAIO programs). Am I doing anything wrong or did I do it right? Without anything running I now use 30% of the Physical memory and CPU goes between 10-20%. Doesnt seem that bad, just want to make sure I did it right?

6. NinjaNoodles

Reputations:
    The VAIO programs stayed on my CR, but they're really just free trial offers, so they're incredibly easy to remove.

7. fablex

Reputations:
    hmm, mine also had norton still on it. Well, I just uninstalled everything I didnt want and it works just fine.

8. NinjaNoodles

Reputations:
    If you still had Norton then you probably made a mistake somewhere.

9. Hunningolla

Hunningolla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    fablex

I ordered that exact same model but I have no idea how it'll turn out.. You dont happen to have pics of it (no the fin sony site doesnt have pics). You mentioned its the premium model, same as the us premium model with the carbon fibre showing through?

10. fablex

Reputations:
    Haha, I just replied in the other thread to you. But since you're asking here also, yes, it's the premium with carbon fibre (i think). The total black one. You don't have the antenna on the right.
    It looks real great, I'll see if I can put up some picks in an hour or so.