How to Optimize Any Sony VAIO With a Semi-Clean Install

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by NinjaNoodles, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashtanga-warrior

ashtanga-warrior Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can I use someone elses Vista disc and my license to do a clean install? If so how do I know my license number If I never got a disc with my SZ680?

2. NinjaNoodles

NinjaNoodles Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It should work as detailed above with any Sony VAIO. No Vista disk required. Also, missing programs can be reinstalled as described in the OP. If you want to do this right, you have to read the whole post.

3. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    There is anecdotal evidence that using the recovery dvd set will wipe the drive clean and restore both the C: drive to it's original size AND the recovery partition as well. So that implies that any other partitions would get wiped out. I don't know that anyone has tried it. Point is, if you DO have more partitions (like I do) make sure you have images of all of them before invoke the Sony recovery process.

Gary

4. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    Yes. I believe your license number should be on the label on the bottom of your machine.

Gary

P.S. you are asking questions about a clean install in a thread about a semi-clean install a TOTALLY different process. Look elsewhere here and you will find other thread on clean installs.

5. newvaioSZ

newvaioSZ Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

So I did the semi-clean install, and everything is running pretty well overall.

But now the time in the bottom right hand corner of my screen is incorrect. It's just an hour off (earlier than it should be). I've tried synchronizing it with the internet, but that doesn't seem to change it. Is there something that might not have installed properly that controls the time? Any advice?

A couple of questions... I still had the AOL software suite afterwards. And most of the sony recovery folder - software and drivers - was already on my hard drive (according to the instructions I would have had to reload my backup disk of the vaio recovery folder). Did I do something wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Vesna

6. dsnvraju

dsnvraju Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi All,

I just would like to know more details about semi-clean install.
    1)Can somebody who did this on FZ able to tell after pressing F10 button, how many reboot's happed before Pressing the CLT+ALT+DEL button to kill the lancher process ?
    2)How much time it took approximately to reach the CLT+ALT+DEL button press after starting F10 recovery process ?
    3) What is the quickest and good first visual indication to identify when to press CLT+ALT+DEL button ?

Thanks
    Raj

7. NinjaNoodles

Reputations:
    newvaioSZ, I don't recall having the AOL Software Suite, but maybe it differs by model. As long as most of the bloatware is gone then yes, you did things correctly. And it's good that you still have the drivers - that's the whole point of the process.

dsnvraju, I don't know how many. I don't even have an FZ. That said, if pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete even works, then you're probably at the right screen. If the task identified in the guide is showing, then you're definitely at the right screen.

Let me know how it works.

-Peter

8. examiner

examiner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm doing this with my new SZ680 as I type this...

So it sounds like all of the drivers are already installed so I don't need to bother with those. But which of the programs on the list do I actually need to reinstall?

I did an Adobe one just because it was the first on the list thinking I had to do them all and then realized that I already had it.

Which ones should I do?

9. NinjaNoodles

Reputations:
    I don't own an SZ, but other than Bluetooth or any desired applications, I would just wait until something doesn't work then install the program or driver that controls it. (This doesn't mean you should expect features not to work. It just means that if it ain't broken, don't fix it.)

Rest assured, everything you need is there. It's just at your discretion whether or not to install certain things.

You can Google the items on the installation list to see what you need.

10. examiner

examiner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks so much for this guide by the way. It really helped out today.

I wasn't prepared for just how much crap Sony installs on these machines. I was a little overwhelmed but it feels lean and quick now.

Well done to both of you semi-clean guide writers. And duely repped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.