How to Optimize Any Sony VAIO With a Semi-Clean Install

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by NinjaNoodles, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rf9

rf9 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After a good few hours trying I'd say this guide can't really be applied to the latest EB Vaios without some amendment. I did kind of get there in the end by installing the required drivers from VAIO care. I still haven't got quick web access working though.

2. jungleguru

jungleguru Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have successfully done this for C300 SSD on Vaio VPCEC many months back
    I now want to use my webcam, are these 2 pieces of software worth installing??,
    ArcSoft Magic-i Visual Effects 2 & ArcSoft WebCam Companion 3 for the webcam?

If they are, under what heading are they in the Sony software list once you have Vaio Recovery running?

3. livingonhop

livingonhop Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I am very naive at this computer system. My laptop was keep getting memory dump error (Blue screen error), so I tried to use my recover disk to get back to factory setting. But, now it shows an Microsoft Visual C+++ Runtime Library Error on installation window.
    This is what it says when it tries to recover my computer to original setting:
    Program:x:/Sony/recovery.exe

After getting this error, I totally wiped out my hard drive and now my computer has no operating system. I tried to reinstall Windows 7 by recover disk, but it is keep showing me same error.

Please guys, I seriously need some help with it and I need to have my laptop fix soon for my medical school studies. I would really appreciate your help. I am sorry if this is my wrong post. I don't know from where I should get any help.

I have sony vaio and its model number is PCG-71311L.
    Thank you so much !!

4. snappingkiwi

snappingkiwi Newbie

Reputations:
    Is this thread dead? :confused: Anyway, I just want to say, this guide was extremely helpful. Thanks a lot, it worked perfectly on my Sony Vaio CR290E! Yes my laptop is kinda old now (just as old as this thread) but it was a major help. The only thing that you have to watch out for is you have to make sure to copy the whole entire Vaio Recovery folder, because if you are missing a file, things might not work. But what I found was if Recovery center doesn't work properly (in my case it was Reinstall Programs or Drivers not showing up), then go to C:\Program Files\Sony\Comborestore (it might be different depending on the model, sorry) and copy files that are necessary to the vaio recovery folder.

Also, if you want the start menu shortcut, then you will have to go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and create a folder named VAIO Recovery Center. Extract these files to that location: VAIO Recovery Center - Minus. This contains the shortcuts of the readme.txt and the shortcut to the program. If you don't have the actual readme file, then go to C:\Program Files\Sony\Vaio Recovery (or where your vaio recovery folder is) and place this in it.

5. Pisani

Pisani Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Since you cant comment, allow me.

I don't know why these ********ckers Microsoft and Sony along with other computer manufactures insist on ****ing up a brand new computer as if it cost pennies or the US handed out trillions to middle income family like it thows at the **tch bankers, insurance industry and all the other prostitutes that run the country. Turn off all that POS. I paid over $1000 for a new laptop and was welcomed with a Sony urvey immediately. After I got tired of being harassed I declined the survey and hit submit and was welcomed with an error Oasis garbage now every two seconds it was this error instead of the survey and I wasn't the only one. then Microsoft downloads an corrupt update they admitted to online. I turned off any and all auto anything after that so I thought.

Days later a message pops up saying the Sony Update program upodate was ready to install, first I didnt ask it to download anything and because I didnt think it was going to screw me I ran the update to Sonu Update. Not only did it not install it completely ****ed things up where I could not remove it because it said some other Sony bull**** was running and the Sony update that was running before no longer worked so back online looking for solution to only discover I was in the l;ong list of victims. I discover the only solutionis to completely restore the system. If anyone including Sony and Microsoft is not in the business of ****ing things up then get your **** straight or stay the **** away from my system no updates, downloads, nothing i dont need you because everytime you send me something youre ****ing something up that was working before.

DELETE ANYTHING HAT HAS TO DO WITH SONY OR MICROSOFT THAT IS NOT ESSENTIAL TO THE COMPUTER RUNNING AND TURN OFF THE AUTO UPDATE FOR UPDATES AND PROGRAM UPDATES FROM EVERYONE ADOBE MICROSOFT, SONY, EVERYTHING!

mICROSOFT IS ANOTHER ONE IN THE BUSINESS OF 8888ING SYSTEMS SPECIALLY IF YOU REFUSED TO JOIN THE WINDOWS 8 KOOL AID DRINKING BADWAGON

http://pcsupport.about.com/b/2013/04/09/patch-tuesday.htm#comment-35896

SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE LINK. SURE LOOKS LIKE MICROSOFTS BEEN BUSY

6. jungleguru

jungleguru Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it possible to install all the Vaio updates, from the website, without installing Vaio Update 5 or which ever version?

I only ask as I about to do my second semi-clean install.

The first semi-clean went perfect, though as you prob know Sony limited the version of CCC that could be installed and updated leaving us with a old outdated version. There is a long way around this, by using a driver sweeper and then installing latest version, but I was only able to update as far as 11.5 I believe, the versions after that I had bugs and problems.

After the first semi-clean my processes on boot went from 70+ to just 47 to 49, and that was using msconfig on both installs to disable any unnecessary boot software set to startup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.