How to Optimize Any Sony VAIO With a Semi-Clean Install

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by NinjaNoodles, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jay_uk

jay_uk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    how to partition hdd ?
    Could anybody tell me the steps.
    Many thanks

2. gufran

gufran Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

i have E series (vpceb14en) model with win 7 home basic edition installed. i done a clean installation of Win 7 ultimate edition. after clean installation , i installed sony drivers . FN keys are working but somehow the three shortcut buttons comes (assist,web/viao) not working. i can't even find the viao recovery center as well in the driver list given on sony site.

3. Mythdat

Mythdat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wrong thread, but anyway :)

You probably missed a driver or don't have an updated version. You need these:

Sony Shared Library
    Sony Firmware Extension Parser
    VAIO Event Service
    Setting Utility Series

Recovery Center is a part of VAIO Care - but you will of course need either the recovery partition or recovery DVDs to recover from.

4. aslanovich

aslanovich Newbie

Reputations:
    EDIT: Wrong thread guys, sorry!

5. alinmt

alinmt Newbie

Reputations:
    Short question, probably Mythdat might help me with this, as he reported successful attempt to use this guide on a E series.
    I followed the steps carefully, on a Sony VPCEA290X from US:
    - backed up Sony directory from Program Files as he contains VaioCare launcher, which contains recovery features
    - killed the VAIORecv.exe process only after it installed some drivers (audio, wireless) as at first I noticed that after 53% it installs only bloatware
    However, when I reach step 8 and try to run VAIOCare.exe, after uploaded Sony directory in Program Files, this application starts with an error message: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" (maybe some DLL is missing) and in the Recovery & Restore section of the Vaio Care I have only "Restore Windows", the option to install any Sony application is gone.
    Any idea on what I'm missing?
    I went back and performed a full recovery, didn't kill that process in the middle of it and everything is fine, as expected.

6. Mythdat

Mythdat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's not VAIO Care you need to run to install drivers/apps, it's VAIORecv.exe. You're probably getting that error because you didn't actually install VAIO Care, only copied the directory.

7. alinmt

alinmt Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the answer.
    I'm stuck because I can't find on my C:\ the file VAIORecv.exe. I'm doing right now the full reinstall and I see that VAIORecv.exe is running from c:\Program Files\Sony\Comboresotre. Weird is that I don't remember seeing such a directory there. After this full reinstall will end, I'll check for Comborestore directory, maybe it was hidden and I missed that in the first place.

8. alinmt

alinmt Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, I had no luck in finding VAIORecv.exe on the entire hard drive. C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Vaio Recovery contains only 'plugins' directory which doesn't have anything that might be used for launching recovery.
    I'll try to access the hidden partition when I'll have time later today and look there for that .exe.
    If anyone had this problem and managed to find in some other place VAIORecv.exe please post it's location. Thanks.

9. kidziti

kidziti Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just in case anyone is looking for the solution to the missing VAIORecv.exe file from the more recently built EB's:

I found the file (actually VAIOModRecv.exe) on the first recovery disk. Explore the disc and go to Sony -> ComboRestore and it is in that folder.

10. rf9

rf9 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi kidziti, so did you run VAIOModRecv.exe off the recovery disc?

I'm a bit stuck now.
    When I run VAIOModRecv.exe from the disc or recovery partition it starts to install all the software, Mcaffee etc.