How to Optimize Any Sony VAIO With a Semi-Clean Install

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by NinjaNoodles, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grundler

grundler Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    don't worry, you can still put it on your resume and win the nobel prize for it. clearly yours was posted first. when this hits the bigtime and ends up on cnn.com's homepage i'm sure they'll credit you with it. all hail IIIaman... innovator and creator of semi-clean install. ;) :cool:

2. NinjaNoodles

NinjaNoodles Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I credited you in the first post, IIIaman. I just added some stuff to the guide and republished it. I'll ask a mod to remove it if you're not OK with me referencing your work.

By the way, if you want to check the date on the post, your name has been there since day one.

No harm intended. :(

3. IIIaman

IIIaman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am sorry - read your post and did not saw the reference :( . Looks like I really need a vacation. No, I do not want to remove this topic, that's OK.

4. NinjaNoodles

Reputations:
    Thanks to Jukeboxmusicman, this can now be completed without any missing files. See first post for details.

5. dsnvraju

dsnvraju Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi NinjaNoodles,

When you are doing semi-clean install, did you use 2 recovery DVD's ?. I mean by the time you press Ctl+Alt+Del do we need to insert second DVD ? Could you tell us how many times the system rebooted in the process and how to identify presseing Ctl+Alt+Del time quickly (I mean roughly after how much time)?

Thanks
    Raj

6. Jonno000

Jonno000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I cannot find the Launch.exe file on my FZ190. The sonysys folder has three subfolders: Docs, Internet Access, and logs. None contain the Launch.exe file. Help please.

7. NinjaNoodles

Reputations:
    Raj, the guide doesn't call for the use of any DVD's. It requires the use of your recovery partition. Please let me know if you still need help.

Jonno000, I've replied to your PM. Please let me know what you find.

Thanks for your help in this guide's development.

-Peter

8. burgeke

burgeke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Don't know where to begin thanking you! :)

I picked up a VGN-CR120E from Circuit City and was totally blown away by all the bloatware :eek: I ended up whacking the entire partition (and the recovery by mistake) and installed Vista from scratch only to find out that Sony doesn't have ALL of the software required (i.e. InstantMode etc) on the website for download. I ordered the recovery DVDs and installed some of this software. However, I could never get everything. One thing was the battery care function. It couldn't be found anywhere on the DVDs. To top it off, sony has all of the exes on the DVD in some strange format.

Then I stumbled onto this post -- works perfectly! Just a few missing things such as the wireless switch utility which I can install after the fact. Other than that -- zooooom fast!

Thanks again.

9. NinjaNoodles

Reputations:
    Glad you found it useful. :)

10. kidd783

kidd783 Newbie

Reputations:
    hey.. i jus got a new fz 190 nd i was thinkin bout tryin this to get rid of sum of the software. but i do want to keep a few of the software pre installed.. such as the location free client software and roxio.. is it still possible to completely restore some of the programs you need like this?