HOW TO: Monitoring CPU and GPU Temperatures In-Game/In-Benchmark with On-Screen Display

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Mr. Fox, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juscallmesteve

Juscallmesteve Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The download you linked me wont install properly for some reason

*EDIT

I made a mistake

And your suggestion fixed my problem. I am now able to monitor in Watch_Dogs

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    **Bumped**

3. JadePhoenix

JadePhoenix Newbie

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox,
    I am a noob to this and I just bought an Alienware 17 with Windows 8.1 64 bit and GEForce GTX 880M video card. I was wondering if my main objective is to be able the CPU, GPU performance with FPS for my laptop, which software would be more relevant without causing too much load to my system? Thanks in advance for the advice. Cheers.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Hey, without exception all of us began as noobs. This will put almost no measurable load on your system.

Download and install the latest RivaTuner Statistics Servers (v6.1.2) here: RTSS Rivatuner Statistics Server - Download

Download the latest HWiNFO64 beta portable version from here: HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download

Choose a location to extract HWiNFO64... one where you want it to be placed permanently.

Set it up following the images in the screen shots album below, choosing which sensor values you want displayed, which row, column, etc.

<iframe class='imgur-album' width='100%' height="750" frameborder='0' src="http://imgur.com/a/UYC3s/embed"></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
    JadePhoenix likes this.
  5. JadePhoenix

JadePhoenix Newbie

Reputations:
    Fox, thanks for pointing me to the download links.
    I could get the cpu/gpu monitoring using HWinfo and RTSS works like a charm but do I need another software to post FPS stats in my game?
    Thanks!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    No, open up RTSS and turn on "Show own statistics" and then you should see FPS stats in-game.

JadePhoenix likes this.
  7. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    So I have been having black screens in Bioshock Infinite lately and today I started playing The Last Remnant and it did the same thing. I thought it was a video card issue but apparently its an OSD and Unreal Engine 3 issue?

I turned off RTSS and closed HWInfo64 and was able to play TLR without another black screen, which were occurring very frequently before that.

Any idea how I can fix this? Its going to really suck if I can't have my OSD.

I've got RTSS 6.1.2.7305 and HWInfo64 v4.42-2280. Options selected - GPU0 and GPU1 voltage, core, temp, CPU max core temp, show own statistics to get the framerate from RTSS.

Its nice to know it isn't my new cards but not so nice to hear it could be my OSD causing the issue.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Have you tried tinkering with the toggle switch for Custom Direc3D Support, or switching between Viewport and Framebuffer, Vector or Raster in the RTSS Control Panel? Having the D3D support option enabled sometimes causes really odd behavior. If changing those settings don't stop it, try dropping back to the previous 64bit version of RTSS. It is hard to find online sometimes, but you can get it here.

If you end up having to use the older version and find it works OK, go into the settings and change the check for updates option to "never" to keep it from looking for an update.

Ethrem likes this.
  9. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Make sure to disable your Steam or Origin overlay as it can interfere with RTSS. Especially Origin 'cause it's completely borked right now.

Ethrem likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Good idea. The Steam and Origin overlay features, and the in-game community features are notorious from causing stupid behavior. I always disable those silly things. Using the RTSS Stealth Mode also sometimes corrects weirdness in certain games.

Ethrem likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.