How to: modify NVIDIA drivers for VAIO

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Gracy123, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  2. opacli

opacli Newbie

Reputations:
    First of all, thanks for your help!
    Yes, my laptop (VGN-Z31MN/B) is switchable hybrid grafphics.
    I saw that Andrew08's drivers version aren't new and I don't know if they can solve my "problem".
    I have a new monitor with 21:9 resolution (2560 x1080) and the "original latest drivers, I have" (8.15.11.8684) can't obtain this resolution.
    Obviously, I want to improve my monitor ... if it's possible!
    Then, another question, sorry :confused:, if I mod the latest drivers (file NVSZC.inf), following the instructions that I saw in tjis forum, I can use the latest drivers of Nvidia?
    Thanks, again.
    King regards,
    Opacli.
    PS. I'm sorry to be so "confused" but I am a newbie in this.

3. anytimer

Reputations:
    Switchable hybrid graphics is a different animal. The technology has been abandoned by all players - nVIDIA, INTEL and Microsoft. The drivers posted by Andrew08 are the latest ones that work. Newer drivers just don't support the technology at all.

An alternative is to use a BIOS hack that gives you the option to change your graphics switching policy from dynamic to static. If you go down this path, you will have to reboot each time you need to change the graphics mode (flip the switch, and reboot). The advantage is that you can use much later drivers. If you want to try this, look up ComputerCowboy's thread regarding this. (Note: not sure if it is available for the VGN series; I have a VPCZ1).

4. opacli

opacli Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks again!

I'll review this option that you say if Andrew08 drivers don't work like I want.

5. charmed

charmed Newbie

Reputations:
    Hallo,

I own laptop Sony Vaio CW1S1E... A few weeks ago laptop crushed and I had to recover my Windows 7 to clear start... After this, all was fine until I get update of my Nvidia graphic card.. After this I'm having trouble and a few times per day message over graphic card failure ... There's no further update of my Nvidia - just this I have from 2010 . Now I came back to factory driver from 2006 .. this one works fine but... it's really to old.... I'm not super handy with computers... I read the instruction about how to modify nvidia drivers for Vaio ... but there's still one point I can't go through ... I downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia - but ... How can I get into this drivers to exchange .inf file??? Downloaded file is .exe file ... someone please help me .... Instruction for "dummy's" wanted ;)

6. anytimer

Reputations:
    Just run the exe file and let the installation fail. The installer will unpack the exe for you. Look for it on your C drive in a folder named nvidia. Browse there and edit as per instructions. Remember to run the setup from the main directory, not the one that contains the inf that you modified.

7. charmed

charmed Newbie

Reputations:
    anytimer .. Thanks a LOT !!!! I did it! I DID It !!! ;) ;) ;)

anytimer likes this.
  8. Adrian Rhodes

Adrian Rhodes Newbie

Reputations:
    Can someone please help.
    I have an all in one sony vaio vpcj11m1e
    sony no longer make drivers for this model
    I have installed windows 10 64bit
    I downloaded the windows 7 driver but it keeps freezing and give memory reference errors
    the card is NVidia GeForce 310m
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A75&SUBSYS_9074104D&REV_A2
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A75&SUBSYS_9074104D
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A75&CC_030000
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A75&CC_0300
    I need a mod for driver version 341.81 so that I can install on windows 10 64bit

Many thanks in advance

9. anytimer

Reputations:
    Why did you download the Windows 7 driver? Scroll up in the OS list and download the Windows 10 64 bit driver. Just run the exe file and let the installation fail. The installer will unpack the exe for you. Look for it on your C drive in a folder named nvidia. Browse there and edit as per instructions. Remember to run the setup from the main directory, not the one that contains the inf that you modified.

10. Adrian Rhodes

Adrian Rhodes Newbie

Reputations:
    I was a bit confused of what to edit and how. Does anyone have a ready edited file for this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.